Thread: Drill Doctor-Work??

Drill Doctor-Work??

Does anyone have a "Drill Doctor" and if so, how well does it work? Is it worth the money, or should I just keep buying new sharp drills? I have never seen one other than in the stores and never talked to anyone who actually had one.

Thanks

CPeter

CPeter,

I have one of the older models and use it often. It works well and the learning curve in very short. I would recommend one if you need sharp drill bits from time to time.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I also have one and it works great. I grew up doing them by hand, but the doctor will do a perfect job on most sizes.

I have a 750, well it is the 500 with the optional items that make it a 750. I am not sure what Dennis Peacock <script type="text/javascript">vbmenu_register("postmenu_161059", true);</script> means by older model. mine is about 2 and a half years old. I have sharpened several dozen bits since I bought it, and it works great. I would'nt want to do without it, now that I know how good it works.
    <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_161059", true); </script>

I have the 500 for which I paid $90 CAD on sale. I sharpened all my twist drills in a couple hours, including a coffe break.

It is worth it to have sharp bits ... it makes drilling so much faster, is more accurate and less tearout. It make take a couple years to pay for itself, but its faster than having to go to the store to buy a new bit every time you hit another screw or nail.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

I have the 500 and like it, is it worth it - hard to say, bits are cheap. But when you need a sharp bit at 11:00 pm, it's nice to be able to pull out the Drill Dr. and not run to the store. I would buy again.

John

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    35 years ago during my machinist apprenticeship, I learned to sharpen bits the old fashioned way and I’ve been doing it that way since – until Christmas before last, when my LOML bought me the DD 750. I was very skeptical at first, but my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be and the smaller bits were getting difficult to see. I decided to give the DD a go and was immediately impressed with the quality of the grind. It’s a little tedious if you are doing a lot of bits, but the DD does an excellent job.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by mike lucas
    I have a 750, well it is the 500 with the optional items that make it a 750. I am not sure what Dennis Peacock <script type="text/javascript">vbmenu_register("postmenu_161059", true);</script> means by older model. mine is about 2 and a half years old. I have sharpened several dozen bits since I bought it, and it works great. I would'nt want to do without it, now that I know how good it works.
    <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_161059", true); </script>
    Oh now Mike....Mine ain't acient or nuttin' like that. I bought one about 3 years ago now I guess. I'm just too used to working around computers where you buy it on Monday and by Wednesday of the same week it's considered to be "old".!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

the doctor is in

I had a large assortment of drill bits that wouldn't cut through butter much less wood or steel so I bought the "Doctor". It does deliver on it's promise but what I have decided is that I should go ahead and spend the money up front on quality drill bit's instead of the knock off kinds you find at some of the discount tool stores. Eventually they are going to dull also but not near as soon as the cheap stuff, and when that happens I'll have the "Dr." make a house call

Question just a quick ?

does the drill doctor work on brad point bits i have watch it on tv and did some reading up on it but have not sean any thing about brad point bit any one know if it works on them

Quote Originally Posted by rodney keil
    does the drill doctor work on brad point bits i have watch it on tv and did some reading up on it but have not sean any thing about brad point bit any one know if it works on them

No - works on twist drills only

Unhappy

Still kicking myself when my local OSH put the 750 on clearance for $87 and I didn't buy any because I already had a 500.

I should have bought them all (at least 20 at one store) and dump them on eBay for a profit