Thread: A Spring Daisy

A Spring Daisy

It's been about 3 years since I first posted a carving and I just finished this one. I've had this piece of basswood around for a while and decided to put it to use (a prototype for a door panel.) This is the final sketch I made to visualize the flower.
    flower3.jpg
    After transferring it to the basswood, I started removing the background to give the flower some depth to work with. I roughed out the leaves, stem and blossom area. I worked on the leaves and stem first and then went to the blossom. After the basic form of the blossom was finished, I started on the petals.
    RoughoutBlossom.jpgRoughoutPetals1.jpg
    Here you can see the work on the petals:

RoughoutLand.jpgRoughoutAll.jpg

The whole carving was given a once over with the chisels and cleaned up. Some extra work was done on the petals and the button in the blossom.

Ready2Stain.jpg

Then the stain and finish with danish oil.

Complete.jpgBlossom.jpg
    Thanks for looking and as usual, thanks for any critiques - can't progress without educational input!
    Last edited by Doug Duffield; 03-24-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Get photos in order
    Doug

Great work! How about some more detailed photos and a couple of it in it's finished location?

Richard,

Thanks for the complement. It was fun doing this.
    Do you want finished product photos or in process photos? As for the finished location, this was a prototype for some cabinet doors I'm going to make for my wife. This carving is sitting on the fireplace mantle, so Carol (my wife) can decide what other flowers she wants to have in the cabinet panels.
    Doug