Thread: Is anyone actually USING a MLCS Powerlift?

Is anyone actually USING a MLCS Powerlift?

I am in the market for a good router lift and the Powerlift sounds appealing. I am an ex-techie and all the tech stuff on this lift just sounds kool, but if it isn't really worth buying . . . . I have been searching for reviews of the Powerlift and haven't found a whole lot which is discouraging. There are a couple on this forum but most of them are at least a year or so old, and the newer ones (still at least 6 months old) are from people that don't seem to have used it. They just received it, examined it, and reviewed it, and likely sent it back.

Not having found much that seems to be relevant and timely, I was wondering if anyone is actually using one and if so what your opinions of it are. I am thinking I would like the motorization and it being all digital. I know that there are add-ons that can add digital capabilities to other lifts too. Also, I am not really much of a tinkerer so I would most likely not come up with my own system. If this lift isn't a good performer, then I guess I would have to do without the motorization.

So if you are really using one I would appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Thanks,

Wayne

Blog Entries
    I have the Jessem. Everything they make is built like a tank and works great. I was lucky and got one of their Milwaukee motors with the external speed control. I put that into my Bench Dog cast iron table and it's all good.

First, I don't own one but I do have an opinion as to the parcity of owner/user reviews. I think most people that are going to spend 300+ on one of the premium router lifts really do want to put a 3+ hp motor in them. The fact that this lift is on the expensive end and does not support the big PC and Milwaukee motors limits its appeal to its biggest market. I can only assume there was a technical issue in not designing it for the big motors since down sizing a lift with collers is a simple and oft used solution to widening the market. I for one would be willing to try it even without a lot of reviews BUT unless/until it is available for to fit the large motors, I am just not interested at the price. I would rather have a WP PRL and PC 7518 for similar money to the Powerlift and a 2 1/4 hp motor.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Roger - I am considering the Jessem. Or rather the Incra which is made by Jessem. I think I like the Incra better only because of the magnetic throat plates. I think I would keep misplacing that wrench for the Jessem and would waste hours of time looking for that *^$#@^ wrench . I like them (the Jessem and the Incra) because of the black plate since my table saw extension where the router is going is a black Formica laminate. I am also looking into the Bench Dog. It ain't black, but what the heck.

Van - I am not TOO concerned about the big motors. I currently only have a PC 690 and it has done me well for years. I am also looking into a additional router as well, but I am considering the Hitachi and Milwaukee 2 1/4 hp kits with both fixed and plunge bases. The 3HP jobs only have fixed bases. Wouldn't a plunge base be a literal hand full with 3HP? Having said that though, it would be nice to have the option of the big motor if I should change my mind in the future.

Regarding the MLCS not accepting the big motors, do you know when the big boys came out? I am just wondering if the MLCS was in late design, or even into production before the big boys came out. Just wondering. I guess even if that were true, why haven't they upgraded yet? Oh well.

Thanks,

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    Van - I am not TOO concerned about the big motors. I currently only have a PC 690 and it has done me well for years. I am also looking into a additional router as well, but I am considering the Hitachi and Milwaukee 2 1/4 hp kits with both fixed and plunge bases. The 3HP jobs only have fixed bases. Wouldn't a plunge base be a literal hand full with 3HP? Having said that though, it would be nice to have the option of the big motor if I should change my mind in the future.

Regarding the MLCS not accepting the big motors, do you know when the big boys came out? I am just wondering if the MLCS was in late design, or even into production before the big boys came out. Just wondering. I guess even if that were true, why haven't they upgraded yet? Oh well.

Thanks,

Wayne
    I am not a fan of hand held 3+hp motors, they don't make dual base kits for them anyway, they come either fixed, just motor (no base) and plunge only. I am not a fan of switching routers in and out of a table so it isn't even a thought for me.

The big router motors were out YEARS before the design process for the Powerlift started. I don't know if it was a marketing or design issue that pushed it to the smaller motors. I can only assume it was design since all the major lifts are built for the big motors and then adapted via collers OR designed to work with both of them without collers.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I am not a fan of hand held 3+hp motors, they don't make dual base kits for them anyway, they come either fixed, just motor (no base) and plunge only. I am not a fan of switching routers in and out of a table so it isn't even a thought for me.

The big router motors were out YEARS before the design process for the Powerlift started. I don't know if it was a marketing or design issue that pushed it to the smaller motors. I can only assume it was design since all the major lifts are built for the big motors and then adapted via collers OR designed to work with both of them without collers.
    Why design what may prove to be a fatal flaw into a new product? Unless the current product's 'big brother' is in the works. MLCS can't be unaware of this issue .............. can they?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Why design what may prove to be a fatal flaw into a new product? Unless the current product's 'big brother' is in the works. MLCS can't be unaware of this issue .............. can they?
    First, I have no true idea if it is some sort of physical design issue or getting off the shelf parts they need to keep cost in check handling the rigors of the big routers. Second, it could be a marketing issue and though I see a bigger market with the 3+ hp motors it may not be the case. Almost everytime I think a manufacturer does something for reason A after talking to them it becomes clear it is actually for reason B... Sometimes I just can't see past my bubble of experience. Point being it may not be a flaw at all, it may be their way to access the largest part of the market and/or bring the most price competative product into the market.

Well they must have had some reason(s). But whether reason A or B or zyz, the lack of reviews, lack of discussion, and even just the lack of mentioning it in other topics is very telling. It looks like I will be going with the black top Incra and a new Milwaukee 5616 router kit.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    First, I don't own one but I do have an opinion as to the parcity of owner/user reviews. I think most people that are going to spend 300+ on one of the premium router lifts really do want to put a 3+ hp motor in them. The fact that this lift is on the expensive end and does not support the big PC and Milwaukee motors limits its appeal to its biggest market. I can only assume there was a technical issue in not designing it for the big motors since down sizing a lift with collers is a simple and oft used solution to widening the market. I for one would be willing to try it even without a lot of reviews BUT unless/until it is available for to fit the large motors, I am just not interested at the price. I would rather have a WP PRL and PC 7518 for similar money to the Powerlift and a 2 1/4 hp motor.
    I couldn't agree more, Van, which I why even though I was interested, I passed on it. I wanted to be able to put the 7518 in it, but no way. If they build a version capable of holding a 3HP router, I'll seriously consider it. For now, no way.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I am interested in this router also. The new version supports 3.25 HP, 4.25" and 3.5"Diameter Routers, but there are still no new reviews out there.

Has anyone heard anything?

I have a feeling that after looking at buying a 3hp router and a powerlift most folks would just buy a 3hp shaper for about the same money.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have a feeling that after looking at buying a 3hp router and a powerlift most folks would just buy a 3hp shaper for about the same money.
    Bil lD.
    Only problem with that is most shapers don't turn at the speeds recommended for small router bits so you'd still need a router table.

Back when the Powerlift was purely analog (gear motor with digital height gauge. I've easily modified my INCRA lift to do that), I made a proposal to Woodpeckers to design a stepper motor driven lift system. They were interested. I had to back out after further study when I realized there were major problems - most affordable stepper motors were not powerful enough and would tend to miss counts, gearing introduces complexity and cost, and the cost of a larger stepper, display, and controller would be beyond the budget of the typical hobby woodworker- it would have a narrow niche market. The mechanicals were just one part of the problem. After you get the hardware you must invest in controller and display, and software.

There are commercial shapers that do what the Powerlift tries to do, plus they are heavy duty. Speed is not a problem- change spindle/motor drive pulleys or used a suitably rated 3 ph motor and a VFD to achieve router RPMs.