Thread: hot glue question

hot glue question

I've heard people use hot glue to attach sacraficial blocks. I just bought a hot glue gun and am wondering if there is a difference in the glue sticks. If so which one's should I use. Thanks for the help.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

the glue stick package may have this information on the package, I will recommended a heavy duty or severe duty glue stick

I've heard people use hot glue to attach sacraficial blocks.
    if you are going to shape the blocks, you need something to hold it so the glue can hold it, 2 #8 screws then hot glue the edges works for me on multi-axis pieces

I use the standard sticks that are right beside the glue guns at Lowes. I would guess that any brand you buy at a big box or hardware store would be fine assuming you have a gun that can get hot enough.

As far as the process goes, I use a hardwood glue block on just about every project I turn and the glue has held without fail countless times. The most important aspects are getting the glue nice a hot and making sure the two surfaces you're joining together are flat so the maximum amount of surface area can make contact.

Hot melt glue can be a good choice but as with most mounting techniques there is a learning curve. Until you are comfortable that your hot melt glue method is effective for your style of woodturning you might develop a "test" protocol. This could be as simple as whacking the blank with a hammer to "test" the secureness of the hot melt glue. Some woods are a bit oily and hot melt glue could be a problem.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

There are bowl blanks and bowl blanks. are we talking about a 3# small piece or a 35# green long blank. i personally would not trust hot glue on a heavy piece and never on wet-green wood. the devil's in the details.---good luck------Old forester