Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I declare this bench finished.

That's very nice, Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Derek, that's darn nice! I'm jealous. Looks like a lot of fun.

I like the idea of the wall-attached tool well a whole lot. I may have to steal that. ..

I posted on your last thread, but I was wondering how you ended up attaching the parallel guide to the vise chop? Originally you had mentioned wedging the tenon, but I don't see how that would work with it open on one end after making room for the rollers. Is it just a glue joint, or did you strengthen it with anything? I wonder if the shear forces over time would weaken a glue joint.
    Hi Joshua

I could have sworn that i replied before .. apologies.

When I initially prepared the chop for a through tenon I had forgotten that there was a wheel below. So I had to cut off the chop at the end of the mortice ... which meant that I could not use a wedge in the tenon. The tenon was glued in, and then I add two steel rods (pins) from the edge. No clear pics of this to show, sorry.

I will post pics of the tool well at a later date. I like the idea - have not seen one similar, although some have a shelf on a wall to do the same thing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thats a great workbench. Nice attention to detail. Love the in-process picture of the hole drilling with the brace. I could not make a full revolution with the tool so close to the wall but you pulled it off, congratulations.

Blog Entries
    Great job Derek!

I'm gathering the final parts to follow in your foot steps.

Beautiful bench, thanks for the documentation and story as you've built it! Hopefully this will inspire me to drill some round holes at the back of my bench.....I've thought about it for too long now! That tool tray is pretty too! Bravo!

Great bench, Derek. Thanks for all the inspiring post.
    Paul

As always, many thanks to you Derek, for sharing your process! I'll look forward to your continued review of the bench as you two get to know each other (I love that you "remembered" the wagon vise"!).

Cheers,
    Chris C.

Derek, thanks for taking the time to share this bench build. I have saved this post for future inspiration when I upgrade my bench. My more immediate need is for a knock down bench that I can move from site to site (next generation in the family are buying homes) that will take the thrust loads of hand tools and the components will be light enough to be moved easily as I age. Surely you have or will have a need for something similar? Opportunity for new post?

Beautiful bench, Derek. It's attractive, solid, and complete. I can't think of a single task that this bench would be deficient in. I especially liked your comment about grooving/rabbeting/molding on the edge and the ease you find with the holdfasts situated the way they are. That opened up a whole world of ease to me too. This is an heirloom piece that you're family will cherish long after you're...(ahem) retired.
    It's sufficiently stout..

Love your bench and the pictorial account as well. Many years of happy woodworking ahead.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Spectacular. You deserve to be very happy. Nice work.