Thread: My experience with Waterlox

My experience with Waterlox

I did a whole bunch of reading, and searching, for the best product for some maple countertops I just finished. It seemed to be a general consensus that Waterlox was the best choice. I ordered the product a couple weeks ago, I ended up with a quart of the sealer/finish and a quart of the original satin finish. I wiped on 5 coats of the sealer finish, letting it cure for 24 hours between coats. Sanded lightly with 320 grit to smooth out the surface. I ended up spraying on the last 2 coats of satin original as I seem to have limited success with brushing : ( The final product is outstanding, the original satin sprayed like a champ. I do have a few dust nibbs to remove in a week or so once the finish is cured. If Waterlox holds up half as good as it looks, I will be a happy camper.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Prepare to be HAPPY !!!!

Did you have to thin it any? What needle/cap did you use. I have always used shellc as the sealer. Do you feel one could get the same results this way?
    I do love this finish but have never tried spraying it.

Congrats. Please post a picture when you're done with it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    Did you have to thin it any? What needle/cap did you use. I have always used shellc as the sealer. Do you feel one could get the same results this way? I do love this finish but have never tried spraying it.
    Jerry, I did not thin it, I started with a #4 tip, which I use to spray chem aqua laquer. I then went to a #3, it sprayed it VERY nice. I could have gotten away with a #2 I believe. With the #3 tip you did not want to stop or pause as it was putting on quite a bit of material. I questioned on how heavy a coat would be acceptable with Waterlox, so I applied a nice heavy coat as I do with laquer. I turned my furnace up to 72 degrees and put a good fan in the shop for cross ventilation. Was dry to the touch in about 12 hours, I will give it a week before I install them.

I will post some pics when I get the tops installed, they look great as natural maple, the original satin finish definately gives it a deeper golden color with a very nice satin sheen.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Great to hear.
    Keep us posted on how it works out going forward.