Thread: Taking care of asain made furniture and a few questions

Taking care of asain made furniture and a few questions

Hello everyone,

My wife and I recently bought a new dining room table set and have now brought it home and set it up. It is an asian made set (malaysia) and is actually quite well made. everything is very sturdy and solid. It appears to about 7/8" - 1" thick on th etop and is completely solid with some sort of mahogany type looking wood. It is not veneered at all from what I can tell. I have a few questions about this set as I do not know much about it. We had to buy the display model and it had no info with it. We bought it from Liquidation World and the staff their couldn't tell us much. Hopefully you folksd can help out with some of my questions, so here goes.

1) Above all else, I guess I would like to know what this furniture coming out of Asia is typpically finished with (laquer/poly/something else) and how should I protect it from getting damaged? I had thought about putting minwax furniture wax on the tabletop but thought about asking here first. would some sort of furniture polish be the best or a protective coating etc....??

2) I understand you can't see first hand but what would be a good guess as to what wood this furniture is? Like I said, it "looks" like a mahogany of some sort.

When I finish a project that I have built I typically use a poly because it is so durable but obviously I am not sure about the finish on this set. I am going to try and post a picture of so hopefully it works.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Kevin

It's probably finished with a sprayed lacquer.

A little plain wax should be sufficient. Without a picture of your table, I would say the Leafs won't get out of the first round.

Jim
    Westport, MA USA
    Habs fan in exile