Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: candy apple maple

candy apple maple

Maple, painted candy apple red with automotive base coat paint. Butterfly done with markers, clear coated with lacquer, which gave it a high gloss that made it impossible to photograph. 9 inches high by 4 inches at it's widest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Larry, the butterfly was done with markers? Wow, you are quite the artist. I like the form. And the gloss finish is really nice.

I really like that one Larry. Great finish.

Quinn

Nice artwork, great colors and I really like the high gloss finish!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

No falling for that old trick...those butterflies were cast into the vessel and turned!! That is some sharp work all around Larry.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

The shape is great, the butterflies are amazing, and the finish is flawless.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Thats an attention grabber! Very flashy work Larry!

Nicely done, Larry! Lots of eye candy with the artwork, color, and finish… And, it's all on a really nice form!

Excellent artwork!! I would put a net over that vase for fear the butterflies would fly away!

Great form, finish, and butterflies. I love the color and the high gloss finish. That shade of red is hard to find in Dyes but your paint sure hits it right on.

That would look great on my motorcycle tank (if I still had one) Great art work and love those candy colors. All we're missing is a little metal fleck. Thanks for sharing a wonderful piece.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Wow, amazing color and butterfly. A bit extreme, even for me, but I love it.

I've never played with candy colors but get the impression that they are transparent. What base color would you use under candy colors?
    Last edited by Eric Holmquist; 03-26-2012 at 9:29 PM.

Vase and artwork look great. Nice colors.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holmquist View Post
    Wow, amazing color and butterfly. A bit extreme, even for me, but I love it.

I've never played with candy colors but get the impression that they are transparent. What base color would you use under candy colors?
    Candy colors are very transparent, a little bit of dye, mixed with a lot of clear, this piece has a gold metallic base, you can use any color you want for a base, a silver would have given me a lighter shade of red, a red metallic would give a darker shade of red, I have seen street rods done with a black base,

For those who think paint on wood is sacrilegious, it can be, but this wood screamed for paint, I thought the blank was curly maple, the curl turned out to be saw marks, and I ended up with a veryplain hollow form.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Pickering; 03-27-2012 at 4:41 PM.

15. Wow, what a finish! Looks too difficult for me to try, but I sure enjoy looking at it, you did something quite innovative.