Thread: Cypress as outdoor sign material?

Cypress as outdoor sign material?

I have been tasked by the school I work at to make an outdoor sign for a community garden. I can get a deal on some 8/4 cypress, I know that it is rot resistant - how would this weather with/without paint or sealant? I plan on making this with a CNC router and V-carve the lettering with oval or banner shape. I plan on mounting onto a chain link fence with either galvanized bolts with brackets mounted on the back or make brass bolts to mount through with decorative "rosettes" as the nut from the front. Any ideas about how the cypress will hold up? Seacoast of New Hampshire - mild summers, cold winters.

Thanks,

Scott

We use cedar which is a very similar, durable wood. You can expect it to turn gray over 1-3 years, and the mounting holes to rot first. If you caulk them before inserting the bolts you could get 8-10 years out of it and I find the natural aging color to be nice. Just cut deep enough to have good readability since there will be no contrast.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thank you Joe!

Scott