Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Expect Online Retailers to Take PayPal?

Do You Expect Online Retailers to Take PayPal?

I recently added Paypal as an alternate payment option to my website, roughly 20% of the purchases are made with PayPal I see no spike in sales by accepting PP.

I really dislike the fact that they automatically process the payments when the order is placed which makes making changes hard and I do not think payment should be processed until the order actually ships, which is what I do with CC purchases. I do get an approval of course when the order is placed.

I am thinking about eliminating the PayPal option. Would not having a PayPal payment option cause you to not to make a purchase?
    Thank You
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hazel View Post
    Would not having a PayPal payment option cause you to not to make a purchase?
    Sometimes, like if I didn't want my CC info going to another retailer.
    It's not a deal breaker, but it is convenient.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

No, most of my online purchases are with a credit card, I use PayPal mainly on email and occasionally here on SMC.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I prefer Paypal for online purchases but it is not a show stopper if I really want the item. I don’t like using a CC online any more than I have to.

I was standing in the check out line at Lowe’s last weekend as a Lowe’s employee was asking everybody for the last 4 digits of their phone number. When she got to me I asked her why. She said it was so Lowe’s can get to know me better. I told her that I didn’t want Lowe’s to know me better..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Not having PP wouldn't bother me. I generally use a CC even when PP is an option. I only use PP for sites that can't take CC like sellers here on SMC and eBay.

i "love" it when i visit a site that accepts paypal. It is really convenient when i stumble onto a site that sells something i am looking for, especially if i have never been to the site before. For example...i love buying espresso beans online from small roasters. If i am 100% more likely to choose a roaster that accepts paypal for a couple pounds of beans that gets me in and out of the purchase in 2 minutes. As opposed to getting up and trying to find my wallet while deciding if i feel this vendor is secure enough to give my CC info too.. if i can even find it.

It would tick me off if I was charged for something if there was a large delay before it could get shipped. But since you have a choice between CC and PP, I would just enter my CC info. It would not stop me from placing an order, since it seems like you need a CC to set up PP.

Steve

thanks for the replies

Kind of what I thinking
    Thank You
    Ed

The "smaller" the business the more inclined I am to use Paypal. It could be a deal breaker but only based on CC # privacy.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Home Depot and one of the options to pay at the register now is PayPal. That is not something I would have expected or would ever do. I am sure it would be okay but just imagine how long it would take to checkout if you had to wait for everyone to login to their PayPal account at the register...

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

I have a PP debit card, so I can use my PP at any business that accepts credit cards.

There are some people that get Paypal payments and just keep the money in their Paypal account instead of transferring the money to a bank account. That would be the only reason to use Paypal at Home Depot. If one is paying with a credit card no reason to mess with Paypal.

I will sometimes use Paypal at a website because it is faster, but just as often I will still use my credit card. The lack of Paypal will not stop me from buying something from a website. I mostly use Paypal to buy stuff on Ebay since they only take Paypal except in very limited situations.

I signed my business up to use paypal invoices, for the cc's I don't accept. I have not used it yet, mostly because with-in 30 minutes of signing up, I got about 8-10 scam emails in a row, telling me my paypal account was on hold and providing links so that I could sign back on and activate it again. The links of course were all phoney and only a fool would click on one, but how did they know I just signed up if they don't have some kind of monitoring hack on the paypal website? This was more than coincidence, I used to get one or two of these phishing emails a month, but right after signing up I got a load all at once, it was like a scammer feeding frenzy..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

As Van mentioned, I believe it is more convienent for the smaller businesses to accept PayPal and use them as their credit card clearing house rather than having to deal with a clearing house directly. Generally I avoid PayPal, their fraud protection (especially for cash) is a joke. Credit cards provide much better protection. Most credit cards, if the buyer goes through the trouble, can provide a one time use aliased credit card number. So if PayPal was not an option, it would not deter me. But I can see the advantages for the business to utilize PayPal.

As a customer, I don't really care for Paypal. I'd rather pay with my credit cards (using my preferred rewards card first). If the site accepts only paypal (even if it is set up as the Credit Card option), I'll log in so I get all my info automatically transferred, etc... if given a true choice (i.e., the CREDIT CARD option isn't just paypal again), I'll use the credit card.

PayPal isn't the only game in town, but I understand it may be more convenient for small commerce sites. Having a small business I keep getting offers for credit card processing from several newer guys (like the ones that have to thing that goes into the iPhone), but I'm not that kind of business.