Thread: 3HP motor projects

Blog Entries

3HP motor projects

I've got a spare 3HP (1725RPM) motor laying around and I'm considering making a tool. I've seen plans for large edge sanders and am thinking about ways to make it oscillate.

Does anyone have any plans they'd recommend?

Does anyone have other project ideas they'd recommend?

Check out www.woodgears.ca
    Some pretty creative stuff.

Ihaven't built one but Shopnotes had plans for one in #37. It looks like a good place to start, though I would make it bigger. It doesn't oscillate but I suppose it could be adapted.

In the end I am curious what you come up with.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've spent a little time researching for information towards building an OSS. I'm not sure you can build a sturdy oscillating mechanism without some fairly serious machine shop equipment/know how. I wonder if buying replacement parts for a Grizzly G1071 would be cost effective (and adaptable).

I'd be tempted to build a pretty wide drum sander and use the motor on it...

Ocsillation could be done with a gear motor and a offset attachment to a "pulley" to provide the up and down motion. The motor could be sourced for pretty much any speed and the disc's (pulley) diameter would determine the stroke. I don't know off hand how to attach it to oscillate buy you might want to try to get a good look at a Vega or it's manual. I think Mike Heidrick and Stephen Cherry both have Vega OES.

I think the low end Jet OES does it with some sort of rocking action on the idler pulley, I don't think it has seperate mechanism, but I am not sure. You might try its manual, it may give you a peek, it is online at Jet.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I think the low end Jet OES does it with some sort of rocking action on the idler pulley, I don't think it has seperate mechanism, but I am not sure.
    Right, that's what I've seen; a basic gear motor that slowly rocks the idler pulley.

I'd be tempted to build a pretty wide drum sander and use the motor on it...
    I've got a pretty good drum sander right now so it isn't a priority.

That motor would work great for a bandsaw or possibly a lathe. These are two applications that work better with the lower speed motors and there are not as many large size 1725RPM motors. I think I paid around $200 for a 2HP 1725RPM motor for my bandsaw.

You could probably sell it and have enough money to buy the Ridgid OSS or have a good down payment on a big oscillating sander.

Steve

Blog Entries
    That's my other path... look for an old OSS or OES with a 3ph or broken motor and repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    That motor would work great for a bandsaw or possibly a lathe.
    I wouldn't use a single phase motor on a lathe though, if you are going to remotor a lathe that situation is begging for a 3ph motor powered with a VFD.