Thread: birdcage windsor

birdcage windsor

I haven't been here for quite a spell. More things to accomplish than I have time & strength to get done. this is a birdcage windsor with a dark green milk paint. Of all the chairs I have made over the years, this one is deceptively hard to do. the birdcage is a demon to get perfectly straight. if it's not a blindman can see the errors. The dog in the picture is my wonderful gal, kodiak. Still have snow here, so I am ready now for the spring ya'll are enjoying!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Sweet, Michelle! Very nice work, and I think you are right on getting the spacing correct - it would show quickly. Looks like you did well on this one.

Wow! That's beautiful! I love the style of it....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Michelle you never fail to amaze me. I have built a few easy to build dining chairs. I know how much work goes into one. Yours is way beyond what I could do.
    I used to have Kodiak's twin brother. One of the smartest dogs I've ever seen. Thanks for the picture.

Steve

Very nice, I struggle to attach 4 pieces of wood into a nice square open frame, so something like this would probably put my in a mental hospital, with various parts glued to me in unfortunate locations.

thank you for that vision this morning, Eric. Started my day with a huge laugh!!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

7. Michelle, that is one elegant chair, I think a chair is one of the most difficult things you can build, I bought an old rocker at a rummage sale just to use for a pattern and made all new parts, putting it together was quite a challenge, I can imagine the skill level this would take to build.

Michelle, as you have been told before... I am a HUGE fan of your Winsor chairs and this is no exception. Making one (or maybe a few) Winsor chairs are on my list, but one of those items that I won't even attempt for years. Great job.

I do have a question. Do you turn and use green spindles or are you using kiln dried stuff. Just curious, thanks.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Scott: you can turn all dry, with the glues we have today. I bust my wood from logs, so I dry my spindles and keep my socket pieces a smidge damp. NOT WET. The sockets dry around the very dry spindle & make the joint very tight. But if you can't get a very very straight log & bust out the pieces (rive the pieces so they have no run out) you can make from good straight lumber. Any bent backs must be wet & steamed. Hope this helps

Very nice work Michelle. The new owner should be quite proud, and rightfully so.

And where is "here"?

In Georgia we have 80+ temps and nary a sign of ice or snow. In fact the tree blooms and daffodills have come and gone, and folks are planting gardens and mowing grass... Doesn't it make ya sick? You won't envy us come summertime though...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

11. Superior work Michelle! What a lady!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!