Thread: Tell me about this vintage jointer

Tell me about this vintage jointer

Hey all - I saw this pop up on craigslist and couldn't find any information about it on google. Does anyone know about when these were made, any specs, and how they work?

http://auburn.craigslist.org/tls/2895670387.html

I see similar jointers pop up around Birmingham all the time. Personally, if I had a use for it, I wouldn't give more than $50 and probably would just skip it. I may be wrong and it may be the best jointer in the world, but to me, it doesn't look that great.

I can confirm that is definitely NOT the best jointer in the world. Just saying.

That looks like one of the Craftsman jointers made by King-Seeley, probably a later model, as the fence looks better than the ones I've seen. I have one of those, but with a weak fence. The infeed end bolts down with two bolts, the outfeed end has one, and I can see that clearly in the pictures--just like mine. It looks like somebody put a new switch on it, and the stand isn't original. Too bad about the stand, as that's my favorite part of that machine. You can have mine if you drive to NH to pick it up, but I'm keeping the stand!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I can confirm that is definitely NOT the best jointer in the world. Just saying.
    It's the best one I have.

Those are a dime a dozen. Worth 100 bucks but not more.
    Don

couldn't find any information about it on google
    Google - craftsman 113.20680

Plenty of hits come up.

the problem with the ones I have seen like that is that you can not adjust the outfeed table up or down. I would never get one for that reason alone. Jared

In conjunction with what Jarod said, they warp at the junction between the infeed and outfeed at least some of the time, and there is not a thing you can do about it. I would pass.

Larry

As an owner, I agree with all the above especially the "pass" part. Mine was given to me, so no investment. I haven't had the warp problem, but many of these jointers only have a 1/2 hp motor making them very underpowered. It will work to some extent as I still have nothing better to use, but have a planer and drum sander for "fixing".