Thread: Box Parts # 2

Box Parts # 2

I am back again with another fun exercise.....taking various turning parts and coming up with finished pieces. I call the piece "Heavy On My Mind".

In the second picture you can see the parts involved. 6 pieces of Box Elder that once made up a HF. The Elm hourglass was the first hourglass I turned for the piece I did called "Time Escapes Everyone. I cut out the box elder legs and pierced them. I dyed the elm HF black. I did turn a box elder cap. I need another set of hands to glue the legs together but I managed. Piece stands approx. 12" tall.DSCN0532.JPGDSCN0529.JPG Comments and critique welcome.
    I turn, therefore I am

Dick, replace the lid and I think you may have a winner! My personal opinion is that the overall piece needs more height. The lid seems to truncate the flow. The lighter color works on the top, but it needs "more" there vertically.

Great use of parts! I think the stand, while kind of large, works. But, it is that mass in the base that seems to cry out for more on top of the form.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Dick, replace the lid and I think you may have a winner! My personal opinion is that the overall piece needs more height. The lid seems to truncate the flow. The lighter color works on the top, but it needs "more" there vertically.

Great use of parts! I think the stand, while kind of large, works. But, it is that mass in the base that seems to cry out for more on top of the form.
    John, thank you for being the ONLY person to comment. I guess I should take this that I have a stinker on my hands. Oh well, guess ya can't have a winner every time.
    I turn, therefore I am

Dick - I haven't been online much this week and just found this thread. This sure has a lot of forms competing for attention. I'm not sure if it works for me or not but it is different - and usually when it comes to turnings - that is a good thing!

I like the idea behind the carved legs but their width seems a little excessive. The form itself looks great and I like how you have it sitting within the legs. I do agree with John in that the lid should somehow continue the curve of the form. I do think the piece is interesting overall and in all honesty would probably be right at home in a gallery without any changes at all!

Looking forward to seeing Box Parts #3!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!