Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Track saws...

Track saws...

I kinda want one. I see how I could use one. But...I'm wondering are they really THAT much better that just a circular saw and a straight edge???
    Last edited by Harold Burrell; 03-30-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I kinda want one. I see how I could use one. But...I'm wodering are they really THAT much better that just a circular saw and a straight edge???
    I suppose how much different depends on the straight edge/guide, the saw and certainly the blade. In short, yes they are.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Oh Yeah ! - NO contest.
    Clean cuts, no tear out whatsoever, easy set up, perfect straightitude. Get a vac into the system and you can start cutting down cabs in a clients home without hesitation - OR, rip lots of ply in your garage and never mar the finish on your wife's Mini.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I kinda want one. I see how I could use one. But...I'm wodering are they really THAT much better that just a circular saw and a straight edge???
    For my money, yes. I used to do the regular circular saw on the homemade guide and the cuts were OK, for a while, but sooner or later the blade would get dull and I'd have problems with the saw starting to drift away from the guide, tear out, etc.

I now have a Festool TS55. It it so easy to set the depth of cut, so easy to set the guide rail right up against a couple of marks - no clamping required, the riving knife all but eliminates kickback. I love that it only takes a couple minutes to get set up and go right to sawing and the cleanness of the cut compared to the old method is night and day. The saw locks into the guide rail so there's no drift. Since it is a plunge saw plunge cuts are a snap. Everything is just faster, easier, and better. My one complaint I guess would be that the consumables like splinter guards are somewhat expensive, but that don't have to be replaced that often.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I have wondered the same thing, I have a good straight edge that will do an 8' sheet of plywood and I have All In One Clamps that work great for cross cutting a sheet of plywood. I have 2 spacers that I use to lay things out with so I get the straight edge to cut correct with the circular saw.
    I can use my circular for other things with no problem so why do I need a track saw and yes I have a good table saw.

Yes, it's a world of a difference if you are doing lots of sheet good work. After I got one, I couldn't believe what I had been missing. It's easier, cleaner, and a better cut than my circ saw with guide. Also safer.

Festool offers a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I'm not saying you need to get a Festool, but line up some sheet good projects, bring it home, and let 'er rip. Decide for yourself.

I kinda want one. I see how I could use one. But...I'm wondering are they really THAT much better that just a circular saw and a straight edge???
    Yes.

Let me put it this way.

Is an Incra fence on a table saw better than something shop made out of plywood?

I'd say yes. Takes some opportunities for user error out of the equation. You don't have to go all in for a full system like the Festool or the Dewalt. The PSI Portable Panel saw works well, has enough length to slice a full piece of plywood in half diagonally, runs a little over $100, and lets you use your existing circular saw. I got mine from Amazon with free shipping years ago. I've since purchased the Festool and it is better, but not night and day better. I still use the PSI PPS (and still have my Hitachi circular saw dedicated to the PSI PPS carriage). The PSI system also has a carriage for using it with a router but I've heard it's not worth the expense, a plate worked out to fit the saw carriage works better. I may look at doing that.

i'll tell you all in a few weeks when i get that discounted dewalt trace saw

Yes a track saw is worth the premium you pay to own one. Realize it is a solution designed from the ground up to accomplish what we as woodworkers want, straight tear out free cuts done in a safe way with dust collection. You could go other routes but if you do any amount of circular saw work and want close to perfect results the track systems are a no brainier.

Can you get by without one? Sure, but the track saw as so safe, perfect cut, quick to use and set up, can do safe plunge cuts, great dust collection, etc. Try the festool out at a local dealer, you should have a rockler or woodcraft near you. The way I always look at things is do I regret the purchase or think it was worth it, etc. I have ZERO regrets, I love the saw and I think it was well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    i'll tell you all in a few weeks when i get that discounted dewalt trace saw
    A few weeks?! Mine is coming Tuesday - what's the hold up on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    A few weeks?! Mine is coming Tuesday - what's the hold up on yours?
    Maybe he means after he has time to use it. Mine shipped Friday and is due in on Friday.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

oh man i'm getting itchy lol

oh man i'm getting itchy lol
    LOL!
    You're as bad as a kid before Christmas!
    jk

Anyhow, once you do get your hand on the track saw, give it a try on some luan and/or melamine.
    You'll be amazed at how easy it is to get perfect quaility cuts on those two materials.
    No splinters and no chipping.

Another thing a track saw can do without any fear/effort at all is to stop mid cut, then go back and finish the cut - and leave a perfect edge. Plus do it safely.
    That's something that's not even possible to do safely on a table saw.

It's all those little details and a whole lot more that give the track systems a huge advantage over a shop made guide.

I can't even begin to count the number of threads I've read here about how to make a difficult or odd cut on a table or band saw and thought, "If you had a track saw, we wouldn't be having this discussion".

One thing I highly recommend is to build a table for it so you don't have to crawl around on the floor.
    Also, I know the Rockler Universal Fence clamps work on the Festool tracks, but I can't say if they do or not on the DeWalt tracks. They're cheaper then the Festool clamps.
    Even though they say you don't need to clamp the rails, I always feel better about it when I do use clamps.

Seriously, you've got good reason to be excited!
    Once you actually use a track saw for any amount of time, it really spoils you as to how little effort is required to do what used to be something akin to sanding in the "I'd rather be doing something else" catagory.
    I used to dread cutting sheet goods. Now it's just a routine mundane task .