Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only What's Required (Owed to Mike Cruz and John Keeton)

Only What's Required (Owed to Mike Cruz and John Keeton)

I have not made one of these in a while. But the last few elevated hollow forms posted by John Keeton got me thinking. On his recent forms, he melded the pedestal and the main form into one continuous curve with little embellishment. I have been contemplating how this might work on one of these tall goblet pieces so I decided to take a whack at one. In keeping with the minimalist concept, I reverted to an earlier design on the base, allowing the stem to flow right into the base without any flairs or undercuts.

The main part of the form is made from some of the very nice "ambrosia" maple I recently received from Mike Cruz. This wood is quite wet but, as several people suggested, it dried out pretty quickly with the walls being thinned down to around 1/4". When it hit 12%, I finished it down to 1/8" wall thickness.

4.5" at the rim X 17" tall. The form is very "full", a result of wanting to preserve as much of the "ambrosia" color as possible. Not quite sure what to think about this one. Stem is bubinga. Feel free to have at it…

needed.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

I think it looks great. The Ambrosia Maple is just stunning. If were to be negative at all I would have a liked a little more contrast between the top and the stem. But maybe that is just that I have seen so many Ebony ones I expect them to be black now. Who know....

Joshua

Another beauty, DD! Nothing I'd change.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

David,
    The form is very pleasing and I like the stem as well. It looks as though you colored the Bubinga near the bottom and at the base, but for me, it's hard to tell. The Natural edge always add to a vessel/form in my opinion. Overall, I believe it is a very nice piece.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I love it as is and the color change on the stem helps make it a beauty!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

David,

I love it. It is probably my favorite of your "Amphora Series" far as the form goes. I tend to like gentle continuous lines. What might be cool would be to do the stem in maple and do a die job where you fade the color into the amphora.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 03-31-2012 at 5:28 PM. Reason: content

David
    I like this one a lot, definitely one of your better pieces, it's a very pleasing form to look at.

I did a version of this simple pedestal on one of my hollowforms with the same thought in mind, sometimes simple is the way to go. I believe it turned out well and since showing this piece and one other similar to it I've had more than a few others from the turning club I belong to go with this same concept and seem to be going away from the more detailed or " busy " finials and pedestals.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nial&highlight=

John

I like the natural edge, full bellied form on this one, and that piece of ambrosia is killer. I like the simple pedestal and foot as well. The transition area doesn't seem to flow as well as some of your other pieces… I think that's part curve and part color contrast. It's always interesting to see how you're gonna tweak this form.

Very nice form David. I love the simple lines. A spectacular piece of AM for the form. Not sure I'm a big fan of the NE, but a very nice piece on the whole.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

10. I think you accomplished what you set out to do David...........we all have become used to the fabulous pedestals you do, and this one is more of a simple transition to the bulb..........very nice indeed..........wood on the pedestal if ebonized would be more of a contrast, but I like the natural grain showing as well.

Super form as usual and the ambrosia maple is just stunning ............nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    What I enjoy about this piece is that it not only has wonderful form, but your choice of wood. The grain is just wonderful.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I love it! Great form and colors.

David, I have come back to this one a few times - waiting to see what others say. I love the stem, and the form. However, I think I am in agreement with Keller on the transition. Perhaps the top portion of the pedestal at the transition point could be a bit larger and that would permit a smoother transition into the form.

That said, it is a beautiful piece, with great coloration. The NE is a real plus and plays well off of the Ambrosia stain.

When I was looking at this earlier on my phone, I had a different thought than the one I have now. Probably I will have another one tomorrow! Although it looks a little naked under the form(relatively speaking), at present the only "hesitation" for me is the curve or color of the bubinga at the top of the pedestal. It doesn't seem to quite fit, though it appears similar in color to a couple spots on the top of the form. Haven't been able to figure out what those are. Excellent work as always David!

"The transition area doesn't seem to flow as well as some of your other pieces…"

"...top portion of the pedestal at the transition point could be a bit larger..."

I'm not sure this was the best shape to try this with. I'm thinking that on the next go, I will make a more slender form so that the transition into the stem does not have to make such a "sharp curve".
    David DeCristoforo