Thread: Question for G0453z owners

Question for G0453z owners

I just received this planer a couple of weeks ago and overall it works great. It has cut down on the time I spend milling lumber tremendously. A question I have about it is: Is it normal to have some play in the tables if you "lift up" on the outfeed or outfeed table without the locking knobs tightened? As a board passes out of the outfeed roller, the infeed side of the table will raise slightly before dropping back down.

Thanks-

I have not noticed that happening on mine. Does it snipe?

I always use the tightening knobs. Last year we ran 13' planks of 8.5" wide 5/4 white oak through our G0453Z and experienced table movement. I believe this was due to a combination of length + weight (mass) and some slight bounce in the boards as they moved through. You need to tighten the knobs to lock the columns, particularly on longer/heavier stock. It also helps to position roller stands on the infeed and outfeed sides for the longer stuff.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

This happens with short stock and with light passes. I can wobble the table with light pressure with my hands.

Any other g0453 owners have an issue with this?

Blog Entries
    First, always lock your table. Now, let me run out and check . . . yep; with the tables unlocked there is some play . . . hence, the locks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well, I just checked mine. The locking knobs are loose as a goose. The tables are tight as a drum.

The only time I use the table locks is on the final pass or three, and then not always. I have the infeed and outfeed tables set with a very slight incline to the outside ends and have backed off the adjustment screws on the pressure rollers. I get very little snipe if any at all. If I do get that very small amount of snipe it is easily sanded out.