Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickley Style Tall Cabinet

Stickley Style Tall Cabinet

Yesterday I delivered a Stickely style stereo cabinet that I designed to fit the space available, and to complement the many Stickley pieces in his house. This was a particularly satisfying project for me since I milled the quarter sawn white oak myself from logs given to me by an arborist friend. Also, this was the first time I have made true divided light doors or done any inlay work - the bow ties in the lower doors, in this case. I did quite a bit of research into the details of how Stickley built their furniture, even visited the Stickley store in Victor, NY, and used as many of those as I could in building the piece.

Here are a few pics.

IMG_7218.JPG

IMG_7221.JPG

IMG_7223.JPG

IMG_7233.JPG

You can find pictures of the whole build process at the link below, if you have an interest.

http://picasaweb.google.com/JohnTenE...eat=directlink

John

WOW! Looks great.

I will check out your link.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

John, that really turned out nice; thanks for the link to the construction. If you don't mind my asking, what dye colors and finish did you use?

Thx.

Scott

beautiful job.

Looks great, I like the build pix. Thanks
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Nice design and very craftsman-like work.

The link to your construction pictures is the "icing on the cake" and really shows the attention to detail that you put into this project.

Again, very nice work.

John,

Beautiful design, and the execution looks excellent as well. I'd be interested in hearing more about the milling and particularly drying process you used with the logs. I've just started air-drying two curly, QS logs of white oak.
    Last edited by Stewart Crick; 04-02-2012 at 6:48 AM.
    Stu

Stu's Woodworks (URL in profile)
    Hernando, FL

Nice job! Well executed! I suspect it's the nicest piece of Stickley style furniture the owner has.

Thank You for taking all the photos and sharing them.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The finishing process was essentially that given by Jeff Jewitt on his website except my dye recipe is different because I was trying to match some other furniture the owner has:
    1) Sand to 180 grit
    2) Dye with 5 drops Transtint Dark Mission Brown + 5 drops Medium Brown in 1/2 oz of denatured alcohol, which is 320 drops of each in a quart which is what I made up and it was more than enough for everything.
    3) Seal with General Finishes Seal-A-Cell
    4) Stain with General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain, wiped off very well with a clean cloth.
    5) 3 coats of GF's Arm-R-Seal in Satin, applied with a Scott's Rags-in-a-box paper towel. These paper towels do a great job for applying Arm-R-Seal. Nice even, thin coats with no lint.

I got 4 or 5 white oak logs from my arborist friend 2 or 3 years ago, about 10 - 12' long and 18 - 22" diameter. I mill logs with a chainsaw on an Alaskan Mill, which is wasteful but the cheapest way I know to have your own rig. I have a Husqvarna 385 XP with a 28" bar, and mostly use Oregon ripping chains on it. I can cut about 20" wide with it, but almost never do because it's incrediably slow plus my jointer is only 10" wide. (I have cut them that wide for a few live edge slabs.) To mill a log, I hoist it up in the air with a chain fall under a tripod and put a couple of log rounds under it, which gets it up to a comfortable work height. Then I attach a 12 foot length of aluminum ladder to the top of the log, shimming as necessary so that it's parallel with the center of the log. Next I set the mill to take off a slab that will give me a cut width of around 12" on the exposed log, and set that offcut aside for now. Then I take the saw out of the Alaskan Mill and attach it to a mini-mill that rides on a 2x6. I screw the 2x6 to the open face on the log and cut off the two side slabs, which leaves me with 3 milled faces. Which ever face looks best I rotate to the top, put the saw back on the Alaskan Mill, and begin to make my cuts at whatever thickness I want. If the log is clear I just keep milling until I get to the bottom; if not, I rotate the log as necessary to get the best clear yield I can. When you are doing this by hand, there is a lot of incentive not rotate it too often. After the main log is milled, I go back and mill one or two boards from eachg of the off-cuts, which often have the clearest wood although they will always be plain sawn. Then I take a small saw and trim off any bark sections and also split the boards that came from the center (which are the ones with the true QS figure), to remove the pith which usually will cause those boards to split and warp if it's not removed. I sticker the boards on a bunk of 4 x 4's on cinder blocks and put a sheet of corrugated plastic on top and tie it down. If I mill in the Spring, the boards will be dry enough by Fall to bring into my shop, where I have a dehumidification kiln that I built loosely following plans in FWW several years ago, to complete the drying process. White oak, apple, cherry, and hickory are probably the worst woods I've encountered for drying. They love to split, twist, and generally misbehave during initial drying. The dehumidification kiln was actually pretty easy to build. If you have the room it is a great way to save money. Even if you don't mill your own wood, you can buy green or air dried lumber and dry it yourself. Mine holds about 275 BF in a load. If the wood is air dried to around 14 - 16%, a full load takes around 2 weeks and costs about $20 to dry down to 7 - 9%.

You can find pictures of my milling process and drier at the following links.

John

Great figured wood and excellent execution.

Thanks for sharing your amazing work and techniques, it is very inspiring.

Blog Entries
    Bootiful piece in a great setting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

The finishing process was essentially that given by Jeff Jewitt on his website except my dye recipe is different because I was trying to match some other furniture the owner has:
    1) Sand to 180 grit
    2) Dye with 5 drops Transtint Dark Mission Brown + 5 drops Medium Brown in 1/2 oz of denatured alcohol, which is 320 drops of each in a quart which is what I made up and it was more than enough for everything.
    3) Seal with General Finishes Seal-A-Cell
    4) Stain with General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain, wiped off very well with a clean cloth.
    5) 3 coats of GF's Arm-R-Seal in Satin, applied with a Scott's Rags-in-a-box paper towel. These paper towels do a great job for applying Arm-R-Seal. Nice even, thin coats with no lint.
    This is the process that I use to stain the stickley furniture that I build. The finish is overall easy to apply and it turns out very nice.

Normally I stain the parts separately and then glue together after all the finishing is complete. How is it to use this stain process after the glue up?

Very very nice!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.