Thread: Kreg Jig Assistance...

Kreg Jig Assistance...

As some of you may remember, it was last June I lost my shop to a fire that was a total loss. I've been buying a few tools here and there as I need them.

Last month I scored a NIB Delta 46-460 and yesterday I built a roll around bench for it.

I'm on the hunt for a new Kreg Jig to screw the top to the bench and was about to pull a trigger on the new K3 Master Series when I realized... it's different from others I have seen.

The one I want is the one where the lock handle is on the front of the jig so you do not have to reach over the work piece.

Anyone know the model number for this style jig or searchable details so I can locate one?

Soon I hope to have the new shop up then I'll be on the hunt to replace the precious 3520B... (may she rest in peace)

Thanks
    Joe

The K-3 system is the one you want. It has the clamping handle on the same side the drill enters the jig. The newer K-4 system has the clamping handle opposite of the K-3. Looks like they discontinued the K-3 now as well. I use the K-3 and it has worked great for me. Not sure why they changed. Maybe to make it stronger? See if you can find someone with the older model still in stock. E-bay might not be a bad place to start.

Good luck,
    Clint

I agree with Clint, the K-3 is the one to have but may take some searching to find one.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Kreg dropped the K3 in favor of the K4 nearly two years ago.
    The K3 came under some sort of patent infringement scrutiny and rather than fight it, Kreg just dropped the model.

I bought my K3 master system a year ago this past December when I read about Kreg dropping the K3.
    Supplies of them by December of 2010 were low enough that it took some searching for me to find one.
    I was @ Hartville Tools and they had some in stock so I grabbed one.

Be very careful with ads online. Some places still show the K3, but, when you go to check out, the actual item is the K4.
    Good luck - but - I'm afraid at this late date, used is all you may find out there.

Guys... thanks for your feedback. I found what I needed on craigslist and it was new in the box.. It should be here next Tuesday.

Thanks again

the seller is willing to ship? good deal!

Yup... seller shipped.. but wanted $24.. delivered came to less than 100 so I'm happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    The K3 came under some sort of patent infringement scrutiny and rather than fight it, Kreg just dropped the model.

I bought my K3 master system a year ago this past December when I read about Kreg dropping the K3.
    Supplies of them by December of 2010 were low enough that it took some searching for me to find one.

Be very careful with ads online. Some places still show the K3, but, when you go to check out, the actual item is the K4.
    Good luck - but - I'm afraid at this late date, used is all you may find out there.
    Was not aware that there was a patent issue. All I heard at the time was that:

The old style had some "play" in it so that you could be sloppier with adjusting the plunger for a good fit. Ability to be "sloppier" was a good thing in that it is faster to adjust, but then the grip is not as tight (adjust one user complaint, end up with another).
    I seem to remember that there was a pro and a con for moving the handle position to the back. I remember the con being that you could not reach it with a large panel, but I do not remember the positive reason.

I have not had any particular issues with K4, which I have used far more than the K3 (since I own the K4, but I know others that own the K3).

Joon Park vs CAS Enterprises.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 04-07-2012 at 7:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

Good to know. I have and love the K3, but have been considering getting another so I have one to take on the road. (relatives house type projects)
    Looks like the K4 will be the stay at home with the modification I saw on YouTube (foot operation).