Thread: New use for a wheeled marking gauge for DowelMax and Jessem doweling jigs

New use for a wheeled marking gauge for DowelMax and Jessem doweling jigs

I have a cheap wheeled marking gauge that I got some where and it just set in the drawer because it really does not work very well. I have a marking knife that I like much better then the wheeled gauge anyway.

So while making some legs for a small book case I am making I found a good use for the old wheeled gauge.

Normally when I am drilling holes that are not right on the end of a board I measure it out and use a small combo square to mark each board. I have also used the combo square to set the jig but find that if you don't get it just right on the end of the board you can get the holes off just a little.

So out came the marking gauge, took the rod out and turned it end for end and put it back in, now it is a great tool for setting the jig spot on every time. It sets nice and flat on the end of the board and you just push the jig right up to it.

P4042307.jpg

very clever, bill. i think i have one of those lying around... somewhere...

Thats pretty cool!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.