Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lunchbox Planer

I have Delta 22-580. It provides very good results, minimal sanding needed, I usually start with 120 primarily for leveling joints and covering my screw-ups. I've ran about 200 BF each of red oak and rock maple throught it. I've done some cherry, pine, pecan, and poplar as well. I do get some tear out on the rock maple, but I put it on the finishing speed, and tear-out all but disappears except on really nasty grain.

However, the dust collection could be improved. The hood tends to plug easily and it does not get all the big stuff. Also, it hangs down slightly and interferes with the wood coming through. The outfeed rollers generally push the boards past it. On hard maple, it is so slick, the outfeed rollers spin on the board and you have to "help it" get through the cutter head. I've only had this problem on hard maple. Oak, cherry, poplar, all seem to go through just fine. I think this model has been updated and they improved the dust collection. I would buy the new model of this again or look at the Dewalt if getting a lunch box planer. Hopefully my next one will be a 15" to get the steel serated rollers, better DC, and induction motor. The universal motor is very loud, I wear good hearing protection when using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    I have the 2012NB Makita which I enjoy using very much. It's quieter than most on the market and about the lightest of the current L/B planers out there. Handles are great as are fit and finish. Dust chute which is not supplied could be improved upon, better yet build your own with conventional 4" connection. Overall a very good machine although not perfect.
    Mac
    I agree with Mac's assesment. The Makita 2012NB is my little planer too. My complaints are very very minimal.

I must admit that I would look at this one for the 13" capacity and helical cutter: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...licalhead.aspx I know nothing but what I've read, but I think it might be worth some consideration. Others might know more.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 04-03-2012 at 5:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

3. That's why I converted mine. It is a duplicate of the steel city planer with the helical head. The best part was the planer was free so I only have the money for the helical head invested in mine. I have a video posted on youtube planing some curly maple with it.

I have the DW 735, Got it on HD closeout at 279. Recemtly bought 4 blade sets on clearance for 1/2 price too. Stealth gloat. Should be lifetime supply of blades. They arent as weak as everyone says.

Pros, 3 blades, 2 speed. Nice fan. The thickness indexer works like a champ. I can plane down to 3/4 inch or whatever you set it at every time.

Cons. What? cant hear you when its running.

I dunno if Id pay full retail though. Its pricey.
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 04-03-2012 at 9:29 PM. Reason: Board does not like my apostrophe or quote marks

I have a couple of Delta 22-540's. Bought the first one (new) in 1995, bought second used a couple years back. They loud, and snipe, but they are paid for. Got several sets of blades from HD for $5 a set when they dropped Delta. Also have Delta 15", and Rockwell (Delta) 13". The 13' was built to compete with the Powermatic 100.

Another Ridgid TP1300 with the Accu-head here. It's been a great planer and I've been thoroughly pleased with the upgraded head.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    That's why I converted mine. It is a duplicate of the steel city planer with the helical head. The best part was the planer was free so I only have the money for the helical head invested in mine. I have a video posted on youtube planing some curly maple with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Robson View Post
    Another Ridgid TP1300 with the Accu-head here. It's been a great planer and I've been thoroughly pleased with the upgraded head.
    Question for you 2, what is the advantage of having the Accu-head? I don't think I could get my wood to come out of my 4331 any smoother then it does, is it the noise or working with stuff like Zebra wood ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    <snip>
    Pros, 3 blades, 2 speed. Nice fan. The thickness indexer works like a champ. I can plane down to 3/4 inch or whatever you set it at every time.

Cons. What? cant hear you when its running.

I dunno if Id pay full retail though. Its pricey.
    I have the Jet JJP-12 but I suspect most induction motor planers are similar. Had a Delta-22-580. The Jet-JJP12 is quieter -- until wood hits the cutterhead. Then they're both too loud to be without hearing protection. The advantage of the induction motor is that it doesn't have the high pitched whine typical of universal motors but when working they're both loud.

had a Ridgid before upgrading to a non-lunch box model. loved the Ridgid and if i had the room i would have kept it. well built, controls worked well and were easy to manipulate, came with a lifetime warranty (at least when i bought mine), dust collection was acceptable, necessary tools (as well as extra blades) store right on the machine, easy to change the knives....but LOUD AS THE DICKENS....if i were getting a lunchbox, i'd get the Ridgid again in a heartbeat.

I have the Steel City "helical" planer and I love it. It's the early version with four-sided cutter inserts (the current ones only have two cutting sides). Very pleased with the surfaces that come out of it. No snipe if fed right. After the initial owner's use and my light use, I'm still on the first cutter edge. I bought it used for $300, and I would do it again.

I have the Delta 52-580. I get no snipe at all on QSWO, but then I have a set up where I have 10' infeed and outfeed tables. I think that really makes a difference. I love it for the price. Cost me all of 206.10 from Lowes when they were closing them out about 6 or 7 years ago. I haven't run much through it yet, but it does what I hoped for. And yes, I think all lunchbox planers are LOUD!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Question for you 2, what is the advantage of having the Accu-head? I don't think I could get my wood to come out of my 4331 any smoother then it does, is it the noise or working with stuff like Zebra wood ?
    Well the first reason was I was tired of trying to find the replacement knives for it. I'm also starting to get into using more figured wood. The noise level to me is definitely less. I have no problem with using the planer 10 o'clock at night in my shop now. No more air raid siren when using the dust collector with it. As a matter of fact there is no difference in the noise level whether the dust collector is on or off with it running. It doesn't bog down like it used to on wide boards and finally I switched out the HSS 2 sided inserts for carbide 4 sided inserts.

Oh and I no longer look at grain orientation! WOOHOOO!

I have a Ryobi AP10, one of the original lunchbox planers. It snipes, but I always send a short piece through before work piece, and I then use it to follow the work piece. No snipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    I have the Steel City "helical" planer and I love it. It's the early version with four-sided cutter inserts (the current ones only have two cutting sides).
    The link that I included above specs a 4 sided cutter head insert. Maybe there are 2 versions?
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

My lunch box planer?

Ryobi AP1301.

Pro: Affordable, good finish, easy knife change, so far been reliable, accurate depth adjustments.
    Con: 2.5" dust port, no cutter head lock, a little bit loud, produces snipe (most lunch box type planers do).

I haven't run anything through it that it couldn't handle easily. The snipe can be managed with technique most of the time. Every now and again no matter what I do I get snipe...

If I had to replace it, I would probably go for the Steel City 13" straight knife cutter head lock model. Unless budget was no concern, then it would be a DW735....
    Trying to follow the example of the master...