Thread: Does anyone own a Rikon Lathe. I need something portable.

Does anyone own a Rikon Lathe. I need something portable.

The one I'm looking at is: RIKON 70-050VS 12-Inch by 16-Inch Mini Lathe 3 Variable Speed Ranges.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I have a Rikon, however it's not the variable speed model. I thinks it's the best bang for the buck. I don't really use it much, but I do use it & like it. It's done everything I've ask it to do for a smaller machine it has served me well.

Just checked Ebay and there is one there for just under $300.00.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks for the feedback. They have one on Amazon for 289.00 with free shipping. That's probably the route I'll go.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I've got the non-variable speed unit and have had it for 3+ years. I use it for small item production turning for work as well as for demos at shows/fairs and I've never had an issue with it.
    Best bang for the buck and I've tried the Jet and Deltas (both new and older models).
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I've got the non-variable. First year they came out with it. I have tortured the thing and it's still running. Rikon customer service is top notch too.
    Have a Nice Day!

I've got the non-VS model, and I've absolutely abused it... Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! I mainly use it as a buffing station now, but it was full time for a couple of years.

Love mine--another non-variable though.
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Woodcraft Vari speed $279.00 this month.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Bought one from Woodcraft... now waiting for it to arrive. I asked customer service, "tech" about the variable speed and power, and it has the same horse power at the lowest speed setting as it does moved up on the Variable Speed. Only comes with a 4" tool rest, but I found one on ebay, a 10" for a decent price.
    Vern

I started out in life with nothing and I've managed to keep most of it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ed,
    The little Rikon was just on sale at Woodcraft (til the 27th), and I recommended it for a friends birthday. (He'll probably be visiting John Keeton's club before too long- lucky dog!)

I'm not sure the VS on a lathe that small is worth the extra money- not enough HP. Personally, I'd stick to the manual belt change. It's not that difficult on these small units. On my Jet mini, it takes just seconds...although I have to say, I'm positively hooked on VS from using my 1642...

Good luck on your purchase!
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 04-29-2012 at 3:48 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Ed,

+1 on non-variable model. Use it for turning, buffing, grinding, drilling, walking the dog, etc. Great little lathe!

-Jerry