Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet 1642 EVS 2HP vs Laguna 18/47

Jet 1642 EVS 2HP vs Laguna 18/47

Hello from a newbie to the Creek. I have been a stalker for a while, but this is my first post. I am contemplating purchasing a new lathe. I have been using an old Shopsmith as my lathe for a long time, but it is neither heavy enough nor powerful enough. The Jet 1642 EVS appears to serve my purposes and will do so for a long time. Then I noticed the Laguna 18/47. Are there opinions as to which would be a better machine and why? Thanks.

2. The jet is a great lathe..........I have the Grizzly version of the 18/47 lathe........their G0698, which is now upgraded with a better inverter and a different motor and the new model is G0733. I have had mine for over two years and it has been superb! Good luck with your choice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Big Jet fan...although mine is a 1642 1.5...it hooks it up!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Seems that there were some complaints about the Laguna posted on this forum a while back, but I can remember any of the specifics (maybe someone will). I have never heard a complaint about the Jet 1642.

I bought several Laguna tools after reading so much about their euro bandsaws a couple years ago. I was looking at the lathe as well. A couple of the tools were in the "Platinum" series. My opinion is that the "Platinum" qualities of the tools pretty much end with the name. The tools are good tools, but nothing like what I was expecting from the manufacturer of some really high end bandsaws. The tools (again, in my opinion) were of average quality. I would steer away from the Platinum Series Laguna tools in favor of something like the Jet that really has a good reputation.

Please note, all of this is not to say that Laguna makes lousy tools. It was just that I did not do my homework before buying, and when I thought I was buying premium tools, I was disappointed to find out that I was not. I have been very happy with my Laguna bandsaw.

Hope that helps!

Jon
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I have a jet 1642, 2HP, EVS. It is a great machine and will do everything you want. Great customer service as well. You can't go wrong with the jet.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

You might want to take a hard look at Laguna's reputation for less than stellar customer service.

I have decided on the Jet. Little dilemma between 1.5 and 2 horsepower because of the 110/220 availability. Just talked to ToolNut and their prices are only about $100 difference between the two models due to free shipping on the 2 hp.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

9. John.......just for informational purposes.........and not trying to sell you on anything.....what lathe you get is entirely your business, but sometimes having a lot of info helps in making our decisions. I just thought I would let you know that there is a link in manufacturing with the Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly and Laguna lathes.

For example.........my lathe, the Grizzly 0698 has the same banjo and tool rest as the PM 4224 and the Jet 1642, as well as the locking handles. I have turned on 3 different PM 3520b's and been up close and personal with some Jet 1642 evs lathes. My lathe performs on par with either of them. If funds are not an issue, the PM 3520b is heavier and has more swing........about 2.5 times as expensive. The Jet and the Grizzly 0733 are about the same as far as features........with the exception that you don't get a cage [which most turners take off anyway] and the handwheel [which the way the 0733 is designed does not need one at all] just the way some turners prefer and how they got used to using theirs. [one can be made for it however]

The 0733 has the same inverter as the 3520b and the Jet 1642 evs...........you do get two more inches of swing with the 0733 and 5 more inches between centers. With the Jet you get a longer warranty. Those are pretty much the differences, and I hope this information is helpful to you whichever lathe you decide to buy. Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-04-2012 at 3:34 PM.

The banjo on the Jet 1642 is definetly NOT the same as the 3520 or the 4224. Our club has a 3520, that banjo is much more substantial than the banjo on my 1642. The 3520 is a much better lathe. I'm very happy with my 1642 though. I would say the only weak point on the 1642 is that banjo. I get flex on it when I core. Get the 2 horse. 220v is not that hard to do. You won't wish you got the 1.5 horse.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    The banjo on the Jet 1642 is definetly NOT the same as the 3520 or the 4224. Our club has a 3520, that banjo is much more substantial than the banjo on my 1642. The 3520 is a much better lathe. I'm very happy with my 1642 though. I would say the only weak point on the 1642 is that banjo. I get flex on it when I core. Get the 2 horse. 220v is not that hard to do. You won't wish you got the 1.5 horse.
    Kyle,
    I have a friend who has a PM 4224 and his banjo is identical to mine on the Grizzly G0698...[just painted with the mustard color.........and it might be sized for the bigger swing, but same design]

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d-(in-my-shop)

.....the 3520b banjo is different and better than both the 4224 and 0698. Look at Bill Wyko's recent pics of his new PM 4224 and the banjo is very similar the one on my lathe. Not trying to have an argument, but just trying to set the record straight.

My only point was to let John know that there is a close connection in manufacturing with all these, and that if one worries that somehow they might get an inferior lathe, then that fear is unfounded.

Gents: I appreciate all the feedback, and it is always helpful to learn from the knowledge and experience of others. I started with the idea that the Jet was what I wanted, but it is an investment, and I would rather get the facts and opinions up front, than have to learn the hard way after the damage is done (measure twice, cut once).

My next question is, knowing that the Jet 1642 fits my needs and price range, is there any other lathe that I should be considering?

Thanks.

--John.
    Last edited by John Meade; 04-04-2012 at 7:52 PM.

I have the Jet 1642 EVS 1 1/2 hp and really like it. It is the only lathe I have owned. I was very close to buying the Grizzly that Roger has, but they were back ordered at the time. I have heard the new Grizzly is decent. I havent had any experience with Laguana, but have heard a number of negatives and positives.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

The biggie you see posted-----Jet has great service.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I have the Jet 1642 2hp and a small Grizzly. Got no complaints with either one. I don't think you can go wrong with the Jet. Just make sure you check with Toolnut before you commit to buy, what ever the brand.

"The best things in life are not things."