Thread: Don't do what I did when cutting blanks.

Blog Entries

Don't do what I did when cutting blanks.

The other day I was cutting square blanks into rounds. I accidentally left one of the corner cut offs on the bandsaw table. Now my recently new bandsaw has a big rust spot where the wet wood was left on the table. I do have a solution though. I mix Barkeepers friend with Marvels mystery oil and scrub the heck out of it. I'll do a before & after picture asap. Just sucked though, I kept the table so nice for so long.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill, that is a tough lesson to learn - been there already! It can happen much quicker than one thinks!

Tough break. Look forward to seeing what kind of work your little concoction will do on that rust. A few months into turning, I was in the process of shaping a large, VERY WET piece of oak when I made the mistake of letting my girlfriend pull me out of the shop for a day in town. The next morning...I was less than pleased to see a bright orange lathe in my shop.

What is Barkeeper's Friend Bill? And I know Marvel Mystery Oil does wonders for sticky engine valve guides among other wonders, but what does it contribute to your concoction?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    What is Barkeeper's Friend Bill? And I know Marvel Mystery Oil does wonders for sticky engine valve guides among other wonders, but what does it contribute to your concoction?
    Cleaning product kind of like Comet. Pretty good at oil and grime cleaning. You can get it at most grocery stores.

I've heard that you can rub rust with a raw potato to remove it.
    The Tsunami is Rising
    Roll Tide
    15 And Counting

Blog Entries
    I have to bring the ingredients in from home and I'll post pics asap.

Barkeepers Friend is great stuff. It contains oxalic acid and works wonders on rust. It is the best product I have found for keeping stainless steel looking new.

Greg

Bill,
    I have the same problem when I Turn Walnut that is green. No matter how fast I finish up, the ways are stained to the point of having to use 600 grit and WD40 or some other product to get the rust off them. Lately I have been putting down some pads that I was given from Chris Hartley, when he sent me some Holly last year. They make all the difference.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Most hardware and automotive stores carry a phosphoric acid product (rustmort, ospho, rust kill, etc) that chemically changes rust to iron phosphate (from iron oxide). When dry the prior rust will be black; just hit with a wire brush. A cup brush in a 4.5 angle grinder works great and polishes the steel also. You don't have to worry about getting every speck off because it isn't rust anymore.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Yeah I have done that also. The worse thing I have had was when a bird came in the shop a few years ago and I didn't know it was there and locked up the shop. Came back 3 days later to find it had crapped on about every machine and the rust was the hardest I have ever tried to remove.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Sid, you may have hit on a new cast iron finish. Bird crap etching. Sounds exotic. Does it look like Damascas Twist?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Been there... Now I am sure to wax all my tools and when finished working with green wood - everything gets wiped down! One other example is leaving green wood in your chuck overnight. Guaranteed rust!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    I hadn't thought about that steve, thanks for the tip. I'll have to wait til next week to do the clean up. Headed out of town for easter.