Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good source for Starrett?

Good source for Starrett?

My good friend, Gene Collison has truly instilled in me the importance of having a couple "reference" tools in one's shop. I just picked up the "certified flat" hunk of granite from Woodcraft the other day and I can really see what he's getting at. Next up, I'd like to get a nice Starrett combo rule. Not sure that I need all the fancy-dancy protractor and centering attachments, but the 90/45* head and a 12" rule is pretty much a "need to have" item. Can anyone out here recommend a vendor with fair prices on one of these? I've looked at a couple of the "typical" places, but I just *know* there are folks out here who have lines on the best deals around! Any input is much appreciated!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,

There you go again...Lee Valley has the combo Starrett and Grizzly too.... I put in a cheap Chinese blade in my Starrett it was much easier to read... The double square is nice too since you have the CC handy...4" little one
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

www.mansontool.com/starrett.htm seems to have a good selection. They claim 'discount' prices.

Dar

hi John, I like McMaster Carr or JL Industrial as good sources for Starrett plus other top brands.
    take care,
    John

Starret

Hi John,
    I use the little 6" for every thing,
    my only problem , is I take it on jobs
    and I sometimes forget to put it
    back in my apron. This can be hard on
    the wallet. If you look carefully at the
    picture you can see the little legs this
    tool has the ability to grow the minute
    it is out of sight.
    Per
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

The best source I know of is http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...t/merchant.mvc They have them on special right now. They also walk you through the various options, smooth black paint, wrinkle finish, and the various blades.

I didn't know so many variations existed until I visited their site.
    Last edited by Steve Roxberg; 03-27-2005 at 1:22 PM.

Another company that has quality tools, if they are still making them, is Mitutoyo. I've had good luck with all the machinist quality tools I've bought from them. They aren't "quite" the quality of Starrett but they aren't as expensive either. Just my .02.

I've gotten all my Starretts on eBay and I think I've gotten good prices and good tools. I could not live without my 4" double square and the 6" flat rule. The others are icing on the cake.

I don't think you will go wrong with Lee Valley. I doubt you'll have to buy a Starrett, just their house brand stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Another company that has quality tools, if they are still making them, is Mitutoyo. I've had good luck with all the machinist quality tools I've bought from them. They aren't "quite" the quality of Starrett but they aren't as expensive either. Just my .02.
    I've got a Mitutoyo 12" full set and a Starrett 6". Qualitatively, I don't see any difference at all. They're differently finished takes on the same deal, and both are excellent. Mitutoyo is harder to find, and not all that much cheaper. If you stumble across a Mitutoyo deal, don't hesitate to grab it.

Thanks for all the great leads, folks! Mark, I note that LV doesn't have a whole lot in the way of Starrett and Grizzly doesn't show as having any of the combination rules! Actually, in looking around, it appears that Starrett has some of the best pricing for the combination sets right on their own site! They've got some specials for their 125th anniversary. I didn't see the double square out there, though.

And Per, those must carpenter ants making off with your 6" units! Know how you can tell if you have carpenter ants? Simple. Just look for discarded, teeeny, tiny beer cans! (Sorry, couldn't resist! AND, no slams intended! A very good carpenter friend of mine is the one who gave me that little tidbit of information! ) Thanks again, folks. I think I may take another pass through that un-named online auction site tomorrow and if nothing hits, I'll probably just go straight to Starrett.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Blog Entries
    I have: the 6" LV Adjustable Hook Rule, LV 4" Double Square, 24" LV Cabinetmaker's Rule, LV/Starrett 6' Folding Wooden Rule (with depth gauge) all of which seem to work very well. I have a pretty good collection of less accurate larger construction oriented squares. I expect I will go for a 6" Starrett Square at some point but for now the 4" LV works for joints and the less accurate guys are ok for most other things.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-27-2005 at 10:04 PM.

If you are looking for sheer quantity, Amazon lists 1560 items. The prices are any where from $3 less than list to maybe $10 less.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

LV has the same price as Starrett on the 4pc combo set ($142) you might also look for Brown & Sharpe as you can find a decent deal from time to time.

The Best Things usually has the best price but there $18 more since Starrett is running a sale.

I really like the Brown & Sharpe magnetic rule set, doesn't hold very well on wood but there handy to stick on the machines
    BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!