Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is working with handtools really that dust free?

Having made the switch from power to hand tools in the past 2 years, my non-scientific assessment is that I can do a great deal of sawing and planing without getting a layer of dust on every surface 4 feet away, as long as I dont blow away the dust, but sweep or vac it up.
    If I were using a sander or a router without powered dust collection there would be dust everywhere even 12 feet away.

Just look at dust from a random orbit sander compared to a 12tpi backsaw under a loupe. The body is better equipped to rid itself of the larger dust.

Of course, woods that have greater toxicity present very different problems.

All this is merely the opinion of a person without any scientific or medical training.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    In my opinion, blowing on a plane is not a good way to remove dust. It introduces moisture into places where it isn't desired.

An inexpensive paint brush is very effective.
    I use a neander air compressor.

magic-dust-a-way.jpg

Only problem is the hose is too short to actually use it on the bench as shown, it easily pops out of the socket when stretched too far. So I hold the tool in my left hand down low so I can adjust the position of the nozzle as I pump the bellows. It works better than my huffing and puffing, and I can direct the spray of dust and shavings away from my face.

I NEVER blow dust away. It just gets spread. I invariably use a vac to suck up dust. Keeps the room from gradually getting dust everywhere.