Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench tool storage

Question Bench tool storage

Curious how other woodworkers store their bench tools (routers, jigsaws etc). Do you store them in the plastic/canvas cases they come with or leave them out of the case where they are more easily accessible?

I'm not a contractor so hauling tools around isn't an issue for me. My tools are, for the most part, stored out of their cases on shelves.

I'm just getting really tired of storing all of those cases (useless space hogs that they are) and am considering taking the time to put the tools back in em' and store everything that way. Before I leap I thought I would see if anyone finds taking tools in and out of cases over time to be a giant hassle -

Just for the sake of calibration, I typically spend 8-20 hours a week in my shop -

Thanks!

Giant hassle for sure... I just store mine in deep drawers which keeps them out of the way but I can get to them quick. Cases go in the rafters if I were to sell anything.

I keep looking for the best case, lately I have been buying the craftsman tool bags that are on sale and use them. The big plastic cases get put in the crawl space or garage attic. My goal is to have cubbies with a door or a drawer for all of them so at least they aren't covered in sawdust. But for now I can fit more in the soft cases, until I finish my basement shop move.
    Dan

For shop-based work, those cases are only in the way. I generally throw 'em out. My tools go in drawers or on shelves.

Currently mine go in the cases (or more likely left sitting out). My plan is to build a set of cubby holes under the stairs at the back of the shop fitted into some of the awkwardly shaped area. Still thinking about whether or not to work out some way of closing each spot (to keep out dust).

+1 on what Sam said..

That's just what I do, I just wish they would say cut $5 off the tool so you could get it with out the case and if you wanted the case you could buy it.

I keep the smaller less-used tools (biscuit joiner, jig saw, trim router, dremel, etc) in their generally smaller cases and have those stored in the deep drawers in my side bench. That keeps the accessories (wrenches, etc) collected with the tools. The larger more-used tools (circular saw, full size router, ROS, etc) are stored in the same side bench drawers but out of their larger cases. I still have the cases though, stored away under the stairs (basement shop).

I used to stick my tools on the shelf and stick the empty plastic cases in the attic.

I bought a Festool saw that came in a systainer. I put the saw in the Systainer whenever it's not in my hands being used.
    I sort of got into that kind of habit now with all my tools and really miss it when I buy something that doesn't have a hard plastic case.

It's not so much the tool, it's all the little attachments/pieces-parts/tools to work on the tool, that are now in one spot that I know where they are.
    I don;t have to search high and low anymore for the allen wrench or the handle for the hammer drill or the stop guide for the hammer drill or the one and only 3/8" good masonry bit I own,,,,,or,,,,

I have some 3/8" MDO that I use to make storage/carry cases. Then I toss the plastic.
    The ones I make have more room for accessories.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I keep the OEM cases and use them. It keeps my cords from getting damaged, and keeps things organized. For those tools that don't have cases, I have bought ballistics nylon tool cases, the sort contractors use, and keep my tools in them. Again, keeps everything very organized. I need all the help I can get!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I keep the smaller less-used tools (biscuit joiner, jig saw, trim router, dremel, etc) in their generally smaller cases and have those stored in the deep drawers in my side bench. That keeps the accessories (wrenches, etc) collected with the tools. The larger more-used tools (circular saw, full size router, ROS, etc) are stored in the same side bench drawers but out of their larger cases. I still have the cases though, stored away under the stairs (basement shop).
    Brian -
    Good point about cases keeping tools and accessories together. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback. Several good points were raised that I hadn't considered. Nothing beats bouncing ideas around other woodworkers before throwing down time or money. Thanks again

I made a wall hung shelf with 3 columns of chicken boxes 4 high each about 8" X 11" X 12" deep with numerous shallow drawers under the boxes. The idea was (about 30 years ago) to store a given power tool (ie a jig saw) on a shelf of ample size that I didn't need to wind up the cord meticulously like the provided cases required. Under the compartment is a shallow drawer containing the spare blades and accessories for that tool. The drawers are simply hung with 1/4" bottoms wider than the drawers in loose dado's in the case. No stops on the drawers so they can be carried to the bench for rummaging around . Over the years tools were replaced, more accessories collected and it's custom dimensions have become obsolete. It has served me well but could be improved. I would now dado the vertical ends and dividers every 1" for 1/4" shelves and drawer bottoms so it could be re-fit for different tools.

I doubt the cases cost $5

Blog Entries
    I roped all my blow-mold cases together to make a raft and set sail for happy land . . . which menas I gave/sold/recycled them all. I use an old mainframe computer reel tape storage rack with flip up doors:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler