Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plunge Router

Plunge Router

I've got 2 fixed based routers which are worthless and am in need of a handheld plunge router. I'm looking at the used market as I can get them 50-60% off versus buying new.

I'm really interested in the Porter Cable 7539 3 1/4 HP plunge router. It's the old one that was still made with pride in the US, before they were sold to Black and Decker and moved to Mexico/China.

At 17.2 pounds is it too heavy for handheld work? Should I look for something lighter or is the weight a non issue? Any others to consider? Also what is the lifespan on a router, I mean how long should I expect it to run before it dies on me(I've heard people with PC routers that have used em for 25+ years, so the PC should be a safe bet)?

Side question:

Is "Woodworking for Dummies" a good beginner's book, or should I pick up a different book?

Michael - Dewalt and Bosch have their fans. The older P&C are good. As for a 17 pound router for plunge work, I can think of a lot of plunge work I would not want to try to manage that much machine. I guess it depends on what your plunging task is.

As for books, that again depends on what your immediate and mid range plans are in the craft. Boxes, cabinets, furniture....?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Look for a Bosch 1617 plunge router. I got a used 1617EVSPK which is a kit that comes with a plunge base and a fixed base. This router is awesome and i love the plunge base. It is very easy to maneuver when doing handheld routing and the weight is a none issue. That 17 lb. router isn't going to be fun to try and move around when doing handheld plunge work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Michael - Dewalt and Bosch have their fans. The older P&C are good. As for a 17 pound router for plunge work, I can think of a lot of plunge work I would not want to try to manage that much machine. I guess it depends on what your plunging task is.

As for books, that again depends on what your immediate and mid range plans are in the craft. Boxes, cabinets, furniture....?
    For plunge work, I need to make some mortise joints on a radiator cover that I've been procrastinating on for the past month or two.

As for the book, the only serious woodworking tool I have is a scroll saw and I've got that pretty much down pat. Big tools are out of the question since I have no shop and won't well to I get a place of my own, but easy furniture that can be made with no more than a router for joinery, cheap ryobi table saw for cutting to size, hand plane to joint the end I just cut, and a palm sander well for sanding. So basically an introduction book to help me get started, cover all the important topics and of course to stop me from posting on the forums every time I have a question.

Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton is one of the most valuable books in my WW library.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    Look for a Bosch 1617 plunge router. I got a used 1617EVSPK which is a kit that comes with a plunge base and a fixed base. This router is awesome and i love the plunge base. It is very easy to maneuver when doing handheld routing and the weight is a none issue. That 17 lb. router isn't going to be fun to try and move around when doing handheld plunge work.
    18.2 pounds, makes the PC 1 pound lighter. It does have 1 less horsepower, not that 2 /14 is bad, so I'll take another look at the bay(my craigslist is useless when it comes to routers at this time).

Using the weight specifications from Amazon, so it might include the box and all accessories.

Easier question.

What's the max weight I should be considering for a handheld plunge router? I won't be making 1,736 box joints any time soon, so I doubt tiring my hands will be much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton is one of the most valuable books in my WW library.
    Mine too. His Router Magic is a good candidate for keeping it company...

17.2 lbs., sounds more like a hand held shaper!

I'm far from being a router wizard, but my three PC690's, and 3 bases, do everything I've ever needed. A big honkin' 75xx seems way over the top for anything I could remotely imagine doing with a plunge base.

On if my 690's is about 12 years old, one about 6, one about 2 - it is the only one that is the newer 1.75 VS. I'm glad I have the VS, because sometimes I have to use big dia bits, and I need to slow the speed down. Other than that, the non-VS do great.

Those kits are frequently available used.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

11. I have a Ryobi RE-600 that has never let me down. It has proven its worth to me. It, however, is heavy; weighing in at 13.6lbs. It is variable speed from 10,000 to 22,000 rpm.

I was in on the R&D of that router; the prototype was 22 pounds.
    There were a lot of compromises to turn that tool into a production router.
    Will it last? For your work and utility? Forever.
    Is it too heavy? Maybe. Appreciate that, for a single job, the coefficient of friction is more important. That is, will it slide well on your work?
    If your work is such that you have to reload the work and get the router off the work time & time again, then it may be too heavy, lest you're a weight lifter.
    Power? Probably the toughest big router extant. Tho the Bosch 1619 is a near equal.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have a PC7539 set up as a high speed spindle in my milling machine and a PC7518 in my table. I wouldn’t want to use either one in hand held mode for very long. The PC690 is my go-to for hand held routing.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Don't discount the Dewalt DW621. I firly set this router as the best thing going this side of a Festool. I rather have a fully dedicated plunger any day of the week over one of those mix-n-match base kits, but that's a personal preference.

I have a complete P/C 690 set up from about 12 years ago, U.S. made. D-Handle 691 with steel Carrying case + the P/C Plunge attachment. I really like the D-Handle for stability and the plunge attachment is a one bolt affair. Solid well made tool. I believe the HP is 1.5 or 1.75 although can't imagine needing any more power + it's light enough to handle easily. I'll be posting these for sale in the classifieds in near future if you're interested.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 04-06-2012 at 1:43 PM.