Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plunge Router

I've had a Makita 1101 (2 1/4 hp) for 10? years and it has done all the hand routing tasks I've asked of it very nicely. I bought the kit with the plunge base and it works very well too. I plunge cut 3/4" wide x 3" deep mortises in Ash with it when I built my workbench. I don't know the weight of it but it is much less than the PC 7518 (3 1/4 hp) I put in my router table. I would recommend a mid-range hp router kit (with soft start) for hand work and maybe a trim router (Bosch Colt VS was my choice) for small detail work.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moscicki View Post
    18.2 pounds, makes the PC 1 pound lighter. It does have 1 less horsepower, not that 2 /14 is bad, so I'll take another look at the bay(my craigslist is useless when it comes to routers at this time).

Using the weight specifications from Amazon, so it might include the box and all accessories.
    The Bosch site says 19.5 lbs. but that has to be for the complete kit with both bases and accessories. I will weigh my Bosch with the plunge base on it and let you know what it weighs as now you have me curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    Don't discount the Dewalt DW621. I firly set this router as the best thing going this side of a Festool. I rather have a fully dedicated plunger any day of the week over one of those mix-n-match base kits, but that's a personal preference.
    I have the Bosch 1617 EVSPK kit and I honestly couldn't tell you great this kit is. The fixed base works great in my quickly thrown together router table wing on the TS and the plunge base is awesome. Very accurate controls and setup and very easy to use.

I have the Bosch with the plunge base. I just weighed it. It's about 10.5lbs.

I think that's just about impossible to answer definitively. It all depends on the user. I think a heaver router is more stable, but if it's too heavy for you to wield easily, then it doesn't matter how stable it is. I think you have to pick one like you'd pick out a ball at the bowling alley. Try a bunch until you find the heaviest one that still feels good in your hand and you can still swing.

Easier question.

What's the max weight I should be considering for a handheld plunge router? I won't be making 1,736 box joints any time soon, so I doubt tiring my hands will be much of an issue.

I have the PC 7518 In a table.. Its likely not quite as heavy but its still a beast.. I don't prefer it free hand.. its way too heavy.. My favorite router is my 1400 Watt Festool which I believe weighs 10-1/2 lbs.. Its about the perfect weight.. At 1400 watts.. its about 12 amps. I have never found it short of power. Truly impressive.. Right now I am cutting large and deep mortises with a 1/2 Spiral bit.. Power is not a concern..

I would suggest any 2-1/4 hp router would be as powerful as my Festool.. Its more than powerful enough for freehand work.

The only fella's I know who use the Big PC Plunge Routers are Curved Staircase guys..

I've been really pleased with the plunge on the Milwaukee 5615/5616. Very smooth, very well made, accepts standard bushings, and the motor on my 5615 says Made in the USA. I also like the BodyGrip feature on the fixed base.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have used PC690s for years. They are pretty bullet proof. I had a plunge base for it but it wasn't comfortable to use. I recently purchased a Bosh 1617evspk. After using it to finish building my kitchen cabinets, I bought another one. As far as bushings. you can use the Bosh bushings, get an adapter, get the Bosch plate for PC type bushings or mount a PC plate to the Bosch without any modification.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    17.2 lbs., sounds more like a hand held shaper!
    lol yup yup... those PC's are notoriously heavy!

I'm extremely proud to say I own one of those bad boys. It's the Godzilla of routers. They will be prying it from my cold, dead, hands. It's going to be mine for the rest of my life.

If you can find one someone is foolishly willing to part with, buy it. It's worth it.

I can buy the 690 with fixed base on the bay for $80(based on how a similar one sold) with shipping. Auction ends in a few hours. Then I would have to hunt down a plunge base.

Or

I can let it end, and try my luck at the 690 with fixed and plunge base which ends in 5 days. The last one spiraled out of my price range($150 with shipping).

But yea, dead set on a 690, even if the plunge action is a bit quirky. I'll post pics when one gets to my door, don't you worry.
    Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 04-11-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Is the variable speed a deal breaker or can I live with out it for just joinery, round overs and maybe the occasional sign/design. Don't plan on using any panel raising bits anytime soon.

While I don't spin 3" bits in my big brute plunge router, I do appreciate the ability to vary the speed. Anything other than straight bits and small roundover bits generally get dialed back a bit. It all just depends on your future plans for the router . . . but if you're already buying the big bruiser, you're going to have it a long time. I'd go for the variable speed (honestly, I haven't seen too many for sale around here without the vs).

Is the variable speed a deal breaker or can I live with out it for just joinery, round overs and maybe the occasional sign/design. Don't plan on using any panel raising bits anytime soon.