Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SawStop Side Table as a Router Table

1. Has anyone built a router table into their *left* extension wing ? With the way my space is arranged, a table on the right side would be completely unusable - there's no room to even get around there. One in the left wing would be still be tight, but would be still be useful. I have the contractors model.
    Last edited by Kelly Colin Mark; 02-15-2014 at 7:39 AM.

I cut a hole in my PCS top and installed a Rockler router plate and PC7518 router. I wish I hadn't. The top sagged. In fact, you can see this in Brad's second picture. The reflection of the light strip is ever so slightly arced. If I hadn't ruined the top, I'd have a nice top for a tool cart or similar.

The solution was a bit nuclear, but works. I got the Benchdog cast iron router wing, and Benchdog cast iron lift. I had to cut the rails to let the tracks work, but that was a simple task with drill, jigsaw, files and a small can of black gloss enamel. I'm in the middle of building the cabinet under the wing.
    Last edited by Mark Andrew; 02-15-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Couple of comments.

First, regarding the right side of the contractor's model. If I remember correctly, the right hand side is thin metal. Can you remove that metal and replace it entirely with a new top that you make yourself? If so, you could take some MDF, laminate both sides, embed it in say an oak frame, and use that as the left hand side. Bonus that you do not modify your existing top.

Second, where do you live? Perhaps someone who lives close by could give you hand; for example, do you live near Columbus Ohio? If so, we can throw one together for you. I probably have most of the stuff you would need just sitting around (like the MDF and the laminate).

I have the router table to the left of the Sawstop, but not cut into the TS wing. I extended to the left, as this also gave me a larger tabletop to help support sheet goods. I then installed an Incra fence that serves both the tablesaw and the router table. I am in a basement shop so space is at a premium. Changeover from TS to router is pretty quick - loosen four large wing-nuts, slide the fence over, tighten wing-nuts, slide on the split router-table fence. Takes about a minute or so. Same amount of time to reverse. I wish I had the space for a stand-alone router table with a dedicated fence, but this is the next best thing.

Hey Kelly, I was looking at this option for adding router table to left side of a sawstop.
    Same parts that just received good reviews in FWW article.
    http://www.general.ca/products/2_excalibur/40-070.html

6. so the wing on a SawStop are not cast iron ?
    interesting ,
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

The standard wings on the SawStop Contractors saw are stamped. You have to pay for the upgraded cast iron wings. By the time you pay to add the cast iron wings and the better fence you are almost at the cost of the 1.75 hp PCS saw.

On the contractor, the wings are not cast iron, unless you upgrade them. Only the table is cast iron. On the PCS, the main wings are cast iron, but the table extension for the extra width (36" or 52") is not cast iron. it's laminate, which means it could be cut to insert a router plate. After hearing how it might sag, I'd be hesitant to do that, though. At least with heavier routers, or without extra support underneath.