Thread: TS-Aligner & Ed Bennett

TS-Aligner & Ed Bennett

I have been trying to reach Ed to order a TS-Aligner. I have been doing this for 6 months off and on. Anybody have any information that he is continuing to build the product or has he packed up? His web site continues to be a wealth of information.

Thanks - John

Blog Entries
    did you try calling him? there is a lot of information on his contact page http://www.ts-aligner.com/contactinfo.htm

doesnt look like the website has been updated in several years.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    As you have said ... his site is still up, but he seems unresponsive ... your is just one of many such observations.

Grab hold of a copy of John White's book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines." Cost about twenty bucks, but on just TS alignment you will save more than that. He uses a dial indicator attached to miter gauge and a piece of 1/2" plywood for plate. Woodsmith #179 has an article on building your own holder for dial indicator. Also look at Jerry Cole's A-Line-It from In-Line industries. One came with my Dubby. Jig from Woodsmith does the exct same thing.

FWIW, I've been using this and have been very satisfied.

http://in-lineindustries.com/a-line-it.html

Blog Entries
    i also use the a-line-it basic unit and it works great.
    i dont remember who had it on sale but it was under twenty bucks for the
    aluminum beams and i got a dial indicator at harbor freight so i have a great
    tool for under thirty five bucks. but i also had made a wood one which had
    worked exactly the same for only the price of a dial indicator... but of course
    aluminum just looks way cool! :-)

I spoke directly with Mr. Bennett in February, 2011 and was told at that time I'd missed being included in a batch he made just earlier. Two subsequent phone calls a few months later got no reply, so it has been my assumption that he's out indefinitely, too.

Like Kevin and John, I use a basic A-Line-It (which I use with my own DI). It may be minor overkill when compared with the "indicator on a wood stick" approach, but the miter bar adjustment is easy and there is no slop in the aluminum.

I placed an order for one with Mr. Bennett in July 2010, and I was also told I'd just missed the last batch. He replied to an email I sent him in Oct 2010 about the status, but a subsequent email I sent a few months later was never replied to. I ended up buying a TS-Aligner on eBay (at retail price), but, honestly, have only used it once since.

The whole ordering proces for the TS-Aligner was a bit "Soup Nazi-ish"; it would seem to me that by committing a small amount of capital to hold finished inventory Mr. Bennett could have sold a lot more of the devices. I read where one guy actually tried to buy a bunch of the devices, to resell to those who wanted one "now", but Mr. Bennett got quite upset when he found out about that gentleman's intentions...
    Last edited by Will Rowland; 04-09-2012 at 1:03 PM. Reason: Corrected timeline

That's sad to hear....i have the TS aligner and it has been one accurate and easy to use product...what a shame