Thread: Filling Cracks

Filling Cracks

Very new to turning and have many questions, usually find the answers by searching. I can't seem to find this one. For filling cracks everyone recommends to mix sawdust with CA. My question is CA contact adhesive? If so what brand or brands are best?
    thanks

No, It's super glue.

The fancy name is cyanoacrylate.

Now you can see why it's shortened to CA.

I buy whatever rockler or Woodcraft sells.

I haven't used enough brands to say if one is better than another. Just search "cyanoacrylate for woodworking" and i think you will learn more about thatn you needed to.

James,
    Just a heads up. You don't want to buy super glue in the small hardware store size. Do a search for ca glue and buy in bulk--much cheaper and more options ( thin, medium, and thick as well as clear or black) This is assuming that being new to turning you will probably get sucked into the vortex.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    You can find it in hobby shops as well. They carry the good stuff but it's pricy, around 10 bucks a bottle. You get much more for your money even at that price though. The litle tooth paste looking tubes have almost nothing in them in comparison.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I like Starbond brand. They sell it in large bottles, and include small bottle dispensers as well as the little applcation tips. Check the website and give tham a call. Keep the bottles in the fridge, and it will keep a long time.

+1 What Kyle said. I was going to make just about the same comment when I scrolled to the bottom and saw his!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Based on recommendations on a pen turning forum, I ordered some at this web page: http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_WoodenWonders/

I have no idea how it compares to other brands, but the price looked good.

Around our shop---- if you want to use sawdust get the yellow glue out--- Titebond ll is the house flavor.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Thanks for the answers. I will get some and try it out. Yes I have been sucks into the black hole. Really enjoying it, but it seems each new project you need one or two additional tools. I guess that's why you call it a vortex.

There is a guy in my woodturning club that sells it at about half the price of Rockler or Woodcraft, and it's just as good. Join a club, and maybe there will be someone selling it to members........ Jerry (in Tucson)