Thread: Goodwill Bargain

Blog Entries

Goodwill Bargain

I am not sure how they come up with their merchandise, but our local Goodwill store had a bunch of hardware items at 99¢ per pack. I bought a few items and thought that was that.

Then came building a wall in the greenhouse to keep the chickens to one end and away from all the plants they find so delicious.

Some hinges were needed for a door. We went back and I picked through the hardware bin and ended up buying about $50 worth of hinges and stuff. Should last a lifetime, but maybe not.

Later we went by Home Depot and I pointed out one hinge like some we bought to my wife. It was priced at $4.99. She just smiled. I recently bought a bunch of hinges for an accordion door I built and they were $2.98 a pair. Picked up a few more of those for use in the future.

I am not sure if this is available at any other Goodwill, but a few had price stickers indicating they came from Menards. I think their store closest to us is in Casper, Wyoming.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I buy hardware like this all the time - flea markets, antique store and fairs, garage and estate sales, but never from Goodwill. Who would have thunk?

I probably have enough hardware to start a small specialty hardware store!

Blog Entries
    I probably have enough hardware to start a small specialty hardware store!
    I know the feeling. A few years ago I bought a 500 piece lot of 1-1/4" brass #8 wood screws. Now my supply is starting to run out. The price of getting another large lot has made me think of changing to steel screws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you really want to have fun, see if there is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you.