Thread: Help me choose a chuck (or two).

Help me choose a chuck (or two).

I have a Conover lathe with a 1 1/2" diameter and 8 tpi spindle. This week I hope to take delivery of a Rikon mini lathe from my local Woodcraft with a 1" diameter and 8 tpi spindle. It has been many years since I turned with any regularity. I now find myself able to spend more consistent time in front of the lathe. The wife and my oldest child have shown interest in turning which is why I purchased the Rikon. Back when I last turned regularly there were very few chucks available on the market. I used a Precision Combination Chuck (not even sure if these are still made) and never really liked it. I'm looking for a versatile scroll chuck for my lathes. If it makes sense to have one that works for both spindles (via inserts/adapters), I'm ok with that. I've been researching this a fair amount and have the Oneway Stronghold and the Teknatool Supernova2 near the top.

What are some of your thoughts regarding these chucks?

Is there another chuck that I'm overlooking?

Do two chucks make more sense in order to not fool with adapters?

Any feedback is very much welcome and appreciated.

If you can afford the Oneway, it's a better chuck. The SN2 may be a little big for the Rikon although it would work. The NOva G3 would be a better fit.

Just my $0.02.

As one who's wife turns, 2 chucks make a lot of sense. We often turn at the same time. As for the model, others can help you more.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Many, if not most, turners seem to end up with many chucks, each set up with different jaws. I own a Midi - Jet 1220 (1"-8tpi) and a full sized Jet 1642 (1 1/4-8tpi).
    I bought two chucks when I owned just the smaller lathe without adapters (Penn State) and would not buy them again, although they were a bargain and have many jaw sets. I then bought the G3 and later changed adapters when I bought the bigger lathe. I now own 2 SN2s and I really prefer them over the G3s.
    I agree with Brian that having separate chucks is the way to go. I would get them with one insert each and look into buying a spinde adapter that will let you use the 1" chuck/faceplate on the Connover rather than changing the insert.

I greatly prefer the dovetail design to the oneway serrated grips but YMMV. My next step up may be a vicmark as I want one chuck with large jaws for turning the occasional platter.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

You won't find many chucks that can work on a 1-1/2 in. spindle. Oneway Stronghold is one that will. However, the Stronghold is way too big for the Rikon lathe. My choice would be a Oneway Talon as a second chuck.

As usual Wally is right. The Nova line of chucks will not adapt to a 1 1/2" spindle. The Oneway Stronghold chuck has an adaptor for the 1 1/2" adaptor for the Conover lathe. Be sure to specify that the adaptor will be used on a Conover (number 0302).

Vicmarc also makes excellent chucks and they have adaptors which go as large as 1 1/2". Axminster has an excellent line of chucks and jaws but availability is lacking. So for the Conover it is either the Oneway Stronghold or a Vicmarc chuck.

Changing adaptors on a regular basis is not recommended. A better solution would be to have a chuck dedicated to each lathe. While the Stronghold can be used on the Rikon lathe. The smaller Talon chuck can't be adapted to fit the Conover lathe. The small Vicnark chuck may be adaptable to the Conover lathe. You may wish to check with Vicmark or a Vicmark distributor to see if the smaller chuck can be adapted to the Conover lathe.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

The Axminster chucks (available at Lee Valley) are available as a 1-1/2", direct thread (no inserts). The K10 would get you a long way and the Goliath (which I have and LOVE) is a big beast.

As I do more with the Axminsters, I can see acquiring a few others and selling my SN2's. Ya, I love the big one that much.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

I have two Vicmarc 120's with 1 1/2" x 8 threads that I use on a Powermatic 90 lathe. They are high quality chucks and are comparable to the Oneway Stronghold. I also have a smaller Apprentice chuck with a 1" thread that I use on my Jet mini-lathe. I also use this chuck on my Powermatic 90 with a reducing adapter but have to add a couple of washers to get the adaptor to seat against the shoulder of the spindle. Both chucks are available through Craft Supplies. The Apprentice is a particularly good value because it is well made and comes with multiple jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kubien View Post
    The Axminster chucks (available at Lee Valley) are available as a 1-1/2"
    Unfortunately the Conover lathe is 1 1/2 x 8 tpi. The Axminster chucks offered through Lee Valley in the 1 1/2" spindle size are 6 tpi.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the other chucks but I use the Stronghold but the Talon also has the feature that leads me to recommend either. They both have changeable thread inserts. That way if you ever get a new lathe with a different thread and diameter, you can just change the insert. It'll save you a lot of money in the future.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have used a Nova Midi chuck for years and never really liked it. It used the 2 metal "tommy bars" to tighten the jaws but I never had any luck with it holding the piece very well. Even small bowls would come out of the jaws. I just recently bought the Oneway Stronghold and I absolutley love it. I have had it for over a month and issues what so ever. I just turned a 14inch platter using it and while the lathe did a dance on the floor the chuck held tight. You can also find spindle adapters some times that may help convert one thread to another. I had a 1.25x8 to 1x8 spindle adapter so I could use the Nova midi chuck on the Jet 1642 lathe that I had it seemed to work ok.

Blog Entries
    For the Rikon, I'd get a PSI barracuda and get a really good chuck for the larger lathe. I like mine and has worked well.

Bummer. Sorry about that.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

Ryan,
    One other thing to consider is a lathe spindle adapter for the Conover. Penn State sells one that will take it from 1 1/2 -8 to 1"-8. You gain some runout (not always), but could then have the flexibility of using same chuck on both lathes. If you don't need the heft of a 1 1/2" spindle...it would be a cheap investment to try at about $20. Look up item LA11218.
    Good luck!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!