Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little Rant but mostly a Caution!

A little Rant but mostly a Caution!

As many of you know, I recently completed a router table build and the router I chose is the Porter Cable 7518. Well, it only comes with a 1/2" Collett so I needed to get a 1/4" Collett so I can use all of my 1/4" shank bits. My first stop was Amazon to make the purchase since I am a Prime member ($79 a year gets you 2 day free shipping on most items). I ws in luck. They had the Porter-Cable 42999 1/4-Inch Self Releasing Collet at a reasonable price and it qualified for Prime shipping. So I ordered it on April 4th. The same day, I received an email stating it had shipped and UPS was the carrier. They provided me with a tracking number and said the estimated delivery date was April 6th. Being Good Friday and the then the Holiday weekend, I assumed it wouldn't be delivered until today. When I checked the UPS site this morning with my tracking number it said "A shipping label has been created and when the item reaches our facility, more detailed delivery tracking would be available. Being concerned, I contacted Amazon and asked if they had indeed shipped my purchase. I got answers that were more like that of a politician, skirting around the answer than any straight forward responses. I asked the woman I was speaking to, what exactly did I pay $79 for a Prime account for? Her answer in a matter of fact response was "I guarantee you will have the item you purchased on April 10th and there will be no additional charge" Are you kidding me? No Additional charge? I couldn't believe that she made it sound like she was doing me a favor by not charging me more money! I have purchased things through Amazon many times and I don't always get things delivered when they say they will be delivered but that's not a big deal. Stuff happens and if things show up a day or two later than they anticipate, I'm not going to complain, but to accept $79 for a Prime account and boast about two day free shipping and then debit my account for the cost of a purchase and then never ship it out and then boast about there being no additional charge to me for them to make things right is a little over the top in my book. So all I'm saying is be careful about spending $79 for a Prime membership. You may not get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-09-2012 at 4:25 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have been a satisfied Prime member for a few years. As you said, stuff happens but it is the exception, not the rule. Overall I have been very pleased with Amazon’s service and the free shipping on most items more than pays for the membership fee.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Can ya say that you've bought an extended warrenty? Prime shipping is kinda like sayin' that you'll get it SOON.
    I've had stuff shipped from the left coast with regular rates that arrived in 2 days. I'm not payin' a premium for anything. Nothing pending in my shop is worth that.
    Don't think that I'm slammin' you. Just my opin.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-09-2012 at 7:47 PM.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I can sort of see how the item should arrive on the 10th if they don't count the weekends and they don't count friday, though the customer service rep didn't handle your question in the right manner.

You know mothers of newborns get free amazon prime for a year to help pay shipping fees for baby supplies. My wife got this a while ago and I used her prime account all the time and it was decent.

Also there's a deal for students getting prime, I wonder if I take a single class at a community college, I could then get free prime??

Finally, there's nothing to prevent people from sharing a prime account. My brother in law pays for a prime account, then shares his username and PW with family. Whoever buys the item enters their own CC and "ship to" address. Just something else to consider if you want to share the prime fees.

I guess what made me so P.O'd about it was not admitting they made the shipping label and then didn't ship it and saying I wouldn't have to pay extra to have it delivered tomorrow April 10th. If all the woman said was, "we're sorry for the mistake. We'll get that right out to you", I would have just said ok, thank you and hung up. I didn't purchase the Prime account for the free two day shipping in the first place. It was bought after buying my wife a Kindle at Christmas. She gets a free book to read each month as a Prime member. I just don't like excuses or dancing around the question being asked. I learned from my parents that when you make a mistake, admit it, own it and make it right. Simple really. The whole thing just set wrong with me.

I think something went wrong last week, possibly due to Good Friday? I was scheduled to receive an order on Friday, but it apparently did not ship until Friday and didn't show up until Monday.

I've been a Prime member since 2002. I've placed well over 350 orders with them during this time (I counted), and almost every single one (up 'til this last order) has been on time. I can only remember one or two orders that were one day late. About a third of my orders get to me one day early (overnight) probably because I live in a major city.

For me the Prime service has been worth it in spades. Now I might feel differently if this happened on one of my first Prime orders...

+1 had it for years and never a problem--if I order early enough in the day I often get it the next day, but never had a late one. My wife and I do christmas shopping from the comfort of the king size bed--beats the heck out of driving around plus the married kids are also on the account for free. one of the best $80 a year I ever spend.
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Can ya say that you've bought an extended warrenty?
    Not really. They are entirely different.

Prime shipping is kinda like sayin' that you'll get it SOON.
    Actually, Prime is exactly like saying, if you purchase an item that qualifies for Prime shipping, you will get it in 2 days, or 1 day if you pay a small upcharge.

I've had stuff shipped from the left coast with regular rates that arrived in 2 days. I'm not payin' a premium for anything. Nothing pending in my shop is worth that.
    I think you might be missing part of the point of Prime. It's not just 2-day shipping; it's FREE 2-day shipping. I, and the people I share my Prime account with, buy hundreds of items a year from Amazon. We save far, far more than $79 on the items we purchase that would otherwise incur a shipping charge.

Also, despite the fact that you have received a regularly-shipped item in 2 days, MOST regularly shipped items take longer than that; sometime substantially longer. Personally, I often do want or need an item in 2 days. Particularly something purchased on a Wednesday that I absolutely need for the weekend.

For me, Prime is a no-brainer.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-09-2012 at 7:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesmith View Post
    For me, Prime is a no-brainer.
    Me too. Hugely beneficial to my business.

I'm a prime member and my busines has benefitted greatly from routine 2 day Amazon Prime delivery. If I amortize the $79 annual fee, I end up paying only pennies per shipment for 2 day delivery. If they're a day late occaisionally (and it has happened on rare occaision), you suck it up and chalk it up to stuff happens.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-09-2012 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Removed negative comment
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have been a happy prime customer for many years. if there is an issue amazon is fast to resolve it.

when I ordered my Rikon band-saw from amazon, the freight company damaged 2 of them. luckily the 3rd was a charm. Amazon was fast to deal with the issues and gave me $250 off for my trouble. ended up paying less than $500 for the saw. The $250 refund was unexpected. I did not ask for it or told they were going to do so.

Some times things happen, its out of our control. but at least amazon does work hard to resolve issues that are not necessarily caused by them.

I have purchesed 100's of items with out issue everything from ink, mailing lables, TV's, electronics, home items and most of the tools in my shop. sometims my order might be $5 other times it might be thoushands of dollars, amazon always gets it shipped the same day. and the $3.99 overnight is hard to beat.

Also as a bounus you can stream shows and movies now to your tv as no extra charge for prime members
    Last edited by Bill Trouard; 04-09-2012 at 6:27 PM.

12. I don't think amazon has ever missed a ship date for me when it was truly a prime item. That includes Christmas items placed way too close for comfort. Honestly I don't know how they manage to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Trouard View Post
    Also as a bounus you can stream shows and movies now to your tv as no extra charge for prime members
    Exactly. I forgot to mention that. My wife and kids in particular take advantage of this feature. We watch movies and TV shows that, if provided through another service like netflix, would cost around $8 per month.

The one thing that can happen is an item can be shipped and the tracking number was created in the UPS system but when it was picked up by UPS the driver did not scan the item therefor there will be no updates to it.

I have ordered things and there was not tracking update and they were delivered, just a problem with the scanning of the package.

I buy most of the consumable supplies for my business through Amazon Prime. Free 2-day shipping on many, if not most items, plus prices are generally lower than anywhere in the country. Also, Amazon has a very generous return policy to ensure satisfaction.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.