Thread: Crotch Cutting Question

Crotch Cutting Question

Hello everyone. I've been turning wood for about 2.5 years and have picked up lots of info on SMC and other forums.

I recently got some black walnut logs, including this one:
    2012-04-08 19 04 06.jpg

I'm looking for advice on how to cut blanks to make the most of the crotch figure. Usually, I would cut through the pith of both branches above the crotch and the pith of the main trunk below the crotch. Basically split the log in half, cutting thru the piths. But in this case, the pieces would be too big to be useful, more than 32 inches across the top/branch part, 23 inches on the main trunk end.

So I was thinking to cut in a Vee shape, almost perpendicular to my usual cut...thru the pith of one branch to the pith of the main trunk, then thru the pith of the 2nd branch to the pith of the main trunk, leaving the crotch area in one big piece. Then either turn a large hollow form from the crotch or cut it up into smaller pieces for bowls.

Usually, I don't think too hard before cutting up logs. But I feel some responsibility to get the most out of this one since it has great potential. So I would appreciate any advice that people can give.

By the way, here's the rest of pieces from the tree that I got. Many thanks to my FIL who is always scouting out wood for me.
    2012-04-08 19 03 32.jpg

2012-04-08 19 03 53.jpg

Dave

I have done what you are suggesting and found some fantastic grain for hollow forms some times but other times a bark inclusion went right through the heart. Even then, there was some very nice bowl blanks; go for it!

Dave,
    I'm glad you asked this question, because I've had the same question about a walnut crotch that I've got. I wish more people responded to your question. I have been searching for the elusive "feather" that some crotch pieces have. I have found some of the best figure between the piths of the branches just north of where the main trunk pith separates.

Not much wood for a vessel with much height, and I would cut off the branch stubs and turn a big bowl with the 3 branches in the sides, maybe 2 feathers coming together in the center.