Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Look what followed me home!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!!! I just got the same lathe a couple weeks ago. You'll love the variable speed and the reverse feature. I put wheels on mine. They have a foot that screws down to allow it to take the weight off the wheels and lock it in place. I bought them locally but there's a thread about it here somewher from a week or so ago. Lots of good advice. Be sure to post it on PM's facebook too. Again, congratulations.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

If that ain't a gloat, I don't know what is...Congrats!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nice gloat!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Wow...now that's a big puppy! Can't wait to hear how you like it...how could you not. I mean sheesh...everyone likes puppies!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

For the size blanks you'll need...you will be in the market for a new truck Scot! Sweet score!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is a heck of a lathe. I had a chance to buy one like that about 3 years ago for $2000. I was broke at the time and put it on the deals section of this site. A guy drove down from the DFW area to pick it up. It was a heck or a deal. I wish I could have gotten it.

Alan

There is no such thing as " more lathe than you need" NOW, because it will always be available when you need it later, and you will! Good score!

Scot,

Nice Gloat that you did not claim. Here is post for mover I made for Powermatic 3520: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ver&highlight=

You might be able to do something similar, but heavier attachment and use 4 jacks instead of 3.

Thanks for the good wishes and suggestions!

Yesterday a neighbor set the lathe bed and legs off the trailer and inside the garage. I used my (much smaller) tractor to lift the headstock out of the van and ease it into place. Got the rest of the machine reassembled late last night - minus the outboard stuff. Just for fun I threw my 160 pounds against the thing . . . and it moved . . . a little. My concrete floor in the garage and shop is fairly slick . . . so, I'm going cut some pads the size of the lathe's cast iron feet out of 3/4" plywood with laminate on the bottom. I think that, plus a little soap solution, plus a 2x4 for a lever will make this do-able without having to deal with casters that may never be needed again. I'll find out tomorrow - my back is done for tonight.

I completely tore my shop apart today and began rearranging to make room for the new "centerpiece". My electrician friend comes Friday. By the way, do I need more than a 20 amp circuit? The lathe is wired for single phase and the motor info plate indicates a 6.2 amp rating. I can't find a spec for the circuit in the manual or on Powermatic's web site . . .

[One option: Occasional moves on my 4224 get done with the 1000# capacity Harbor Freight hydraulic table. Works great and does lots of heavy lifting of blanks and other shop stuff.]
    Ted: Even if not for moving the lathe, I can see the use for one of these down the road. Thanks for the suggestion.

[Here is post for mover I made for Powermatic 3520: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ver&highlight=]
    Thomas: That's a great idea. I'll file that one away for some future need!

Scot, get us some pics of that puppy all set up!

I'd caution you about making the feet too slippery...you don't want it dancing across your floor while turning.

This is a 3 hp motor, isn't it? You MAY have a 3 phase motor (3 phase input) there. IIC, most variable speed lathes nowadays are 3 phase with onboard VFDs. I would imagine a single phase 3 hp 220 motor would be pulling WAY more than 6 amps. But I don't know your set up...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Reassembled and turning

Got the 4224 moved into its new home on Thursday - with two helpers pushing and a 2x4 for leverage. Will more seriously consider casters before attemping this again! Assembled the outboard side. Friday we ran a dedicated circuit and fired it up. Completed two 10" cherry rough outs. Very quiet and very smooth. Every tool I used cut remarkably smoother than on my previous lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scot Roberge; 04-14-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm jealous, I just got my PM4224 a couple weeks ago and haven't had time to get it wired into my shop. I want to turn something in a bad kind of way. I did put casters on mine though, I'll take a pic for you this week. The wheels are only 1-3/4 but it rolls very easily and they are rated at 400lbs each. again congratulations though. Be sure to go to PM's facebook page and post a few pics.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a lathe. That deserves a BIG Congrats.

Scot,

Bolt a 2" X 4" to the feet and set casters outboard of the lathe leg bases. Just be careful and get some help when you jack it up. Putting the casters outboard of the foot bases give added stability.

Wow! What a nice lathe! "She's a beaut' Clark!"