Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different kind of rotary attachment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A different kind of rotary attachment

Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker here, and infrequent poster.

I have come up with a different kind of rotary attachment, and I'm wondering what everyone thinks of it. I've posted a video on youtube of it working. You can view it here: http://youtu.be/ksnVMXjrR1s

It's made for my Full Spectrum Engineering 40watt hobby laser (a machine I love!), but it can be adapted to a lot of other lasers.

So, let me have it! Good? Bad? Don't care? Don't be too mean to me, my wife hates to see a grown man cry. Lol

Douglas
    40 watt Full Spectrum Engineering laser. Two hobby CNC carving machines (CarveWright). Shop full of loud and noisy stuff to turn large expensive materials into cheap splinters and dust.

Pretty slick. I saw a picture of one that kind of worked like that but much more complicated that someone had built for engraving on pumpkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDqTp33xjME here is a video of it.
    Last edited by Joe Hillmann; 04-10-2012 at 2:59 PM.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Wow, that is really cool. I always think the simpler the solution the better.
    Shenhui SH-G1410 1400mm X 1000mm cutting area with 100W RECI tube
    Home built CNC combo wood router/plasma cutter

Was doing a general search for "jigs" when I found this timely mention...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    for engraving on pumpkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDqTp33xjME here is a video of it.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Two things - if it's attached to the X-axis rail how you do you focus? Also, doesn't the way it's attached limit the size of what you can engrave? Maybe I'm not seeing it right?

Gary

Gary, The attachment rises and falls with the table. You focus it with the table height just like normal. And there are limits to what it will handle, but if you don't need to do large diameter items it works great. For the person who just wants to engrave a few pens now and again, and similar tasks, it's ideal. Of course, that's just my opinion.
    40 watt Full Spectrum Engineering laser. Two hobby CNC carving machines (CarveWright). Shop full of loud and noisy stuff to turn large expensive materials into cheap splinters and dust.

Mr. Miller I would love to know how to build one. I have a 60w Full Spectrum Laser which I also love. Thanks for anything that you could share.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-06-2014 at 4:56 AM.
    60 W Gweike Laser
    CorelDraw x5
    Lasercut 5.3

I just looked at it a bit closer - at first glance it looked to be firmly attached to the x rail, I didn't realize it actually floats on the rail allowing you to set focus. It is a very clever design.

Gary

That certainly is an interesting design, You have me wondering how to adapt that to my shopbot router as well as my rabbit laser. Thanks for sharing.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

Doug

thanks for posting what appears to be a great idea. I assume it would be ok for interested parties to pm you for more details.

My questions deal with increasing the working diameter and length as well as whether this can be adapted for use on any machine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Dan, i agree that often the simpler the solution the better. Sometimes a lack of money can lead you in all new directions.

Mike, The design can be adapted for almost any gantry type system. The size of object it can take is a function of table size and depth. If your table is big enough there is no reason one couldn't be built to handle wine bottles or something like that. While I have my doubts that a truly 'universal' one would work very well, I'm going to start collecting data on other machines, and see just how many different sizes it would take to make everyone happy.

Anyone who wants more information, please PM me. I like this forum too much to take a chance of breaking the rules and getting kicked off. Lol

Doug,

Its pretty clear to me what your intention is here so I wouldn't worry so much about losing your place on the roster

Honestly I think your approach is innovative and interesting so I hope that lots of people here will provide you data that you can use to make improvements.

Doug, for those who want to help you by providing info on their lasers, could you list the kind of info you need? Your invention is a definite improvement over the present rotary I have, that's for sure!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I can do that, Dee!

Here's the list, for anyone who cares to help out. Wouldn't it be nice to come up with a 'universal' one? Well, there I go dreaming again.... But I guess I can try!

Measurements needed:

1: Total table travel up and down.

2: Table X and Y dimensions.

3: Gantry height and width. This is the gantry itself, not including the firing head or any of that.

4: Distance from front face of gantry to beam. Easiest way to get this is to place a piece of scrap in the machine, in focus. Then hold something square up to the gantry and make a mark on the scrap directly below the front face. Fire the beam, and measure between the two marks.

5: A guess as to the amount of room between the top of the gantry and the lid. For sloping lids give the best guess at the front and the back, counting only that above where the gantry can actually travel through.

6: Focal length of lens.

7: Make and model of laser.

I think that should do it.

PM me with all of that, and I'll make a chart and see what we have.

And Thank You All for your interest. It's a bit overwhelming, but in a good way.

Douglas

We have a 3D printer at work, so if any gears / brackets/ fittings etc. need to be fabricated let me know! We have an Epilog 36EXT and I would like to make a system for our unit.