Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC Router Recomendations

I am a joes/castcnc builder. I have also built a cncrouterparts machine. Factor in a base and getting a controller togther if you go the kits route. Also think about dust collection, bed and work holding, cable management, etc as well. The kits still leave a lot to build. You will save a tonof money but they will cost you in areas other than money. I love my machine though. I think it offers upgrade paths you would have a hard time adding to purchased machines.

Ridgidness, speed, quality of cut, tooling options - all variables in your machine paired against the requirements of your jobs. The jobs you want to cut should decide your machine.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Keep in mind also that just because a machine will fit in a given space does not mean it can be used. You access from almost all sides of the machine. And at least a space in front of the machine to add and remove the larges piece of stock the machine will handle. A 48" x 48" machaine will need at least 48" in front of the machine. If you plan on doing pass throughs you will need as much space in the rear of the machine as well.

Yeah... I was just thinking about that. I have a 16' x 20' shop, and a 4' x 4' router would make that thing really small in a hurry...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain