Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a New Ford Ranger....

Bought a New Ford Ranger....

In my quest to cut fuel costs at work, I picked up 4cyl/stick 2wd cab and a half Ranger. Gave up on another old Volvo for now, and once set up I may be able to use the Ranger more days out of the week.

Sticker says 27MPG, but on the net the average seems to be that or a little higher. Less service problems than most small trucks, and a lot more comfortable than a Taco.

They are clearing out all the old ones as they stopped production, so there are some awesome deals on what is still on the lot. I had an X plan, and altogether got $6K off of sticker, about 26%.

Its old school, but I know they are reliable, get the best mileage of any small truck and reasonably comfortable. It'll have to do, I own it. And did I mention, it gets 27 MPG!

Larry

great little trucks I had one with 200,000 one it when I traded i in. I didn't want to trade it in but had to.

I love my 2007, it's the 4.0 V6 4wd and only gets 15-22mpg but I don't commute in it. Only 60,000 miles in over 5 years.
    The only problem I ever had with it was a rattling seat that was repaired on warranty early on. You might consider the Extang full tilt tonneau cover, it's very convenient and removes in 1 minute.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Larry. I really like Fords myself. Especially the trucks.

PHM

Congrats!

I don't know what I'll end up with when mine finally dies. Its a 2004 and I only have 45k miles on it though so hopefully it will be a while

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congrats, my son's ranger has been bullet proof.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Is ford going to replace the Ranger with a new model?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Is ford going to replace the Ranger with a new model?
    No. They figure people will go for the F150 instead. I question that decision. They say a fully loaded Ranger is close to the price of a F150.
    I have a 1997 that I bought used. 4L 2wd extended cab. 83k miles on it. I love it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The ranger is a tough little truck to replace. Very reliable and proven.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

The Ranger is going bye bye. I think this is the last year according to Car and Driver. Your brave for getting a 2wd in Northern Michigan.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    No. They figure people will go for the F150 instead. I question that decision. They say a fully loaded Ranger is close to the price of a F150.
    I have a 1997 that I bought used. 4L 2wd extended cab. 83k miles on it. I love it.
    Is that the 4.2 L 6cyl? If so, keep and eye on oil in the coolant or you will be replacing the engine. My 97 went at around 75K.

Google 1997 Ford F150 4.2 engine.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Totally different engine.

I am taking it in to get it Zebarted before I start using it for work. Looking for a topper with side doors, but one that doesn't look commercial so it doesnt look like a target for tool thieves. [Sometimes I work close to Detroit] One with racks so I can pick it off with the tractor when I need an open truck. I think I am going to buy a 12'ish enclosed trailor for tools though. There is not much room back there compared to my van.

I'll get it worked out before I sell the van. So far I like it. Its just a plain old truck, but that is how I like them. It does have the XLT package, so has some stuff. not bad for $15,800 + the governors share.

Larry

I always thought the Ranger would have been a perfect PU for me. Too bad they're stopping production, as I'm about 2-3 years away from when I'd get one.

Ford was planning on a new F100 based on the Australian pickup, mid-sized more like the (also dead) Dakota and the
    Tacoma. Unfortunately they couldn't match the gas mileage and tow capacity of the F150 so the canned it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green