Thread: Goin' Big!

Goin' Big!

After removing myself from the dull drums, I pulled this cheese and cracker platter out of the "Get it done" pile. Last of the red oak...thankfully, so the next ones will come from better stock.
    14 1/2" diameter, sanded to 600 because red oak gets some open grain in spots. 6" white marble insert and about 10 coats of Formby's Tung oil finish. I used WOP on the first one and IMHO...either it sucked or I did...jury is still out. I really wanted to do something with the accent ring, but I guess I lost interest. The underside of the rim has a groove to make handling easier. About a 9" base for stabilization...I've found that wine usually accompanies cheese and the platter becomes less stable with more empty wine bottles stacked on it.
    If anyone knows where I can get 8" round cheese tiles, I've searched all over and come up empty...I'd be in your debt!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 04-11-2012 at 1:42 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Hi Jim,
    You can try this website. About half way down the page ypu will see the stones.
    http://www.thebhaktihouse.com/main.sc
    Just as I was getting used to yesterday, along came today....

Looks pretty good to me Jim! I really like the colors!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks good from here, Jim. No help on the marble, but looks like Lloyd has a link for you.

Jim that is a good looking platter. I haven't found any 8" stones yet. The one that Lloyd gave is a salt block and don't think it would work real well for cutting cheese.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Don't know about 8" cutting stones, but I do know that I like what you have done with this one!
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Blog Entries
    Very nice, should make for good conversation while enjoying the wine & cheese.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.