Thread: Rust Hunting Finds

Rust Hunting Finds

Hey all...

Found the following tools last weekend while out and about. The Miller Falls plane and Stanley No 43 saw set are virtually new. The sharpening stone I know nothing about but for the deal I grabbed it. The Stanley No.4 needs some donor parts and rust cleaning, but other than being dirty it isn't too bad. The last is a Spiers Infill smoother in rough shape. I am wondering if it is worth restoring. The metal body, cap and blade are all pretty solid besides needing a good cleaning and de-rusting, but the wood infill is bad. Does anyone have an idea if its worth a go or is it pretty much a shelf item to just talk about how it would have been nice to find a clean one?

Anyways... The entire lot (including the nice old cast iron pan in the back ground) cost a grand total of $30.00... I am happy with that!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Worst case, if the wood is totally shot (I have no idea how to determine that) you could make your own infill out of new wood, and use the bits of old rosewood from that to makes little knobs or pulls or what have you.

I'd give the Spiers a shot at restoration. A few slices of rosewood here and there and you might be surprised. You didn't show the sole in your photos--hopefully the throat is in good shape.

The Spiers has a body you could use. It's dovetailed,and all the hard work is done. A nice brass cap and screw. Get a decent blade and make new infill. The plane's parts alone are worth the $30.00 if you consider the work it already has done for you.

What George said, go for it. I have one in similar condition I posted it here and I'm waiting for the "right time" to work on it. That plane is a glory waiting to happen. Dig in, take photo;s, love the journery, and, ready, set, GO!

Jeff

I think I will take on the project! May be a dumb question, but to remove the old infill, is it something that is simply glued in and requires only some heat to loosen it up or is it pretty much a destroy it to remove it type thing?

That infill is crap. Send it to me. I'll give ya $30.00 including shipping.
    Dang! I'm just too funny.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a great deal.

I would look at the rosewood and see if it is possible to repair what is there or if it all needs replacement.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

At first glance, the handle looks like the only part that's really in bad shape - is it held in place with a screw or something? Not knowing the size of the thing, I wonder if you could remove it and make the plane comfortable enough to use with a grip akin to a coffin smoother? Just talking out loud.

Bob, that infill plane is likely to have a few through rods that help hold the infill in place. You will need to look closely at the sides to find them. They would have been through drilled then peened over to be nearly invisible. The iron rods were softer than the steel sides and gave to peening fairly well.

There will be two holding the front bun on and if you don't need to remove it, I wouldn't. there should also be at least two holding the rear infill in place. I was able to drive them partially out, about 1/8" or so, then file the now protruding peened end down so it would fit through the hole better. Then drive it out the other way, so you're driving on the now smaller end of the rod. The wood was likely glued in with hide glue and depending on the level of decay, may not be holding anything.

Your technique will depend on the amount of damage there is on the infill. You may be able to remove it in pieces (save them for a pattern) before you have to remove the rods. This will let you see whats going on inside the steel sides of the plane.

I can send you come pic's tomorrow when I get home.

I just looked at your pic's aagain and it looks like the handle is the only part thats damaged. You may be able to just replace the handle and get lucky.

Jeff

The infill is the amazing find in the bunch, but that Miller Falls plane is a keeper too. The black adjustment screw (actually bluing) suggests it is a WW II model of that plane. So it is in great shape for its age. I have a No. 10 in similar shape from the same time period.

Rick in Oakville (Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L Miller View Post
    Bob, that infill plane is likely to have a few through rods that help hold the infill in place. You will need to look closely at the sides to find them. They would have been through drilled then peened over to be nearly invisible. The iron rods were softer than the steel sides and gave to peening fairly well.

There will be two holding the front bun on and if you don't need to remove it, I wouldn't. there should also be at least two holding the rear infill in place. I was able to drive them partially out, about 1/8" or so, then file the now protruding peened end down so it would fit through the hole better. Then drive it out the other way, so you're driving on the now smaller end of the rod. The wood was likely glued in with hide glue and depending on the level of decay, may not be holding anything.

Your technique will depend on the amount of damage there is on the infill. You may be able to remove it in pieces (save them for a pattern) before you have to remove the rods. This will let you see whats going on inside the steel sides of the plane.

I can send you come pic's tomorrow when I get home.

I just looked at your pic's aagain and it looks like the handle is the only part thats damaged. You may be able to just replace the handle and get lucky.

Jeff
    Thanks for that! When I get a bit of time over the next few weeks I will try and clean it up better and maybe get a few more detailed pics...