Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old laptop... any ideas ???

Old laptop... any ideas ???

Replaced my wife's laptop for Christmas .....

Now have a 2007 Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop and need a use for it.... It is worth about $100 (if I am lucky!!)....
    It runs XP and is wireless... thought I could use it as shop PC... Works great in shop but only thing I use it for is to keep up with the PGA golf scores on Thursday thru Sunday when in shop.... or looking up the price of something, etc....

Since it is really not worth the hassle of selling it and have not found a good use for it in shop, am looking for some ideas on what it would be useful for...
    I already have my laptop (normally in the house), wife has hers and daughter also has hers.....

Any ideas for a good use for it ????

I keep one in the wine cellar to access cellar tracker.

Learning to run Linux on it? Using it for streaming radio or playing your music in the shop. Worst case, use it as a practice laptop to learn to disassemble and reassemble for repair purposes.
    I am surprised though you don't use it for something like cutlist.

That's easy, buy yourself a 10k CNC router and plug in to it.

Or, you could give it to a charity.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

find a needy college kid. or a senior citizen who just wants to use email to keep intouch with loved ones
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

The golf is much more interesting on TV. I love having golf on in the shop.

How about a local senior center? Bet they could put it to use.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use my old one for traveling. I broke the screen one time and bought a used screen for it. It had accidentaly fallen when we checking out of the motel. It's a good spare.

Wil

I have one in the shop for watching DVD's not sure if that is in line with your interests.

Like the idea of a local senior center.... will check that out.... also will ask at church if any of the seniors want to learn it...

I watch golf on tv in shop, but use computer to show all the scores via the PGA leaderboard....

Use it for project plans, notes for projects, cut lists, shop inventories, etc. As long as its not too slow downloading websites use it to order supplies, etc.
    Don

Whatever you do with it, make SURE you wipe the disk clean. And that means more than just deleting the files, it means to use a wipe program that will eliminate all traces of the files you had on the disk. I may be paranoid but I take the disk out and beat it with a hammer before I give the rest of the computer away.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The problem with both a charity and a senior center is that someone will have to set it up and also maintain it.
    XP is a legacy system now. While it's still in widespread use, it's near end of support life.
    A five year old system may or may not be able to run Windows 7.
    Either way, someone is going to have to spend some time with it.
    If the center/charity doesn't have an IT staff, then they will have to call in a tech.
    Even if they do have an IT staff, the staff may be so over burdened thet don't have the time to work on it.

I know it sounds like a good idea on the surface - but - in all honesty, 99% of all the dontated systems I encountered over the years did little more than create a disposal problem for the outfit they were dontated to.

$100 is a pretty accurate figure as far as it's face value being 5 years old.

W/brand new systems selling for as cheap as they are anymore, it's hard to justify putting a couple of hundred dollars into a hundred dollar machine.

Three years old, maybe. Four would be a toss up depending on the machine and the memory and drive size.
    Five years old is where I always advised customers to not bother trying to either repair or "make it fit into their network".

IMHO - as someone that worked IT for over 20 years - it's right where it belongs - in the shop being used for what little it's being used for.
    Either that, or wipe the drive and list it on CL for a reasonable amount.
    Someone may want it for parts.
    If no one bites on it, then see if one of the smaller local PC shops wants it for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Replaced my wife's laptop for Christmas .....

Now have a 2007 Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop and need a use for it.... It is worth about $100 (if I am lucky!!)....
    It runs XP and is wireless... thought I could use it as shop PC... Works great in shop but only thing I use it for is to keep up with the PGA golf scores on Thursday thru Sunday when in shop.... or looking up the price of something, etc....

Since it is really not worth the hassle of selling it and have not found a good use for it in shop, am looking for some ideas on what it would be useful for...
    I already have my laptop (normally in the house), wife has hers and daughter also has hers.....

Any ideas for a good use for it ????
    Keep it as a practice computer to learn Linux....my vote is for Linus mint.

Mike, I took the disk out and removed any trace of original use, then started from scratch with original disks... took about a week to get it totally updated...
    I am paranoid also on stuff like that... worked on computers for over 30 years so made sure no info left on it...
    It is too old for any real use, agree with Rich...

Chuck, never liked Unix and too lazy to learn any more about computers... only router I like now is Porter Cable...

Thanks all...