Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maple Rough Out

Talking Maple Rough Out

Had this chunk of Maple sitting under a tarp in back of our shed since last December and decided this past Sunday to put it on the lathe. I use a wheel barrow to get the wood from the shed to the house and a deer gambrel to hoist it onto the lathe but it is up to me to carry the thing down into my basement shop. Didn’t weigh this one but believe it was very close to 100 pounds - if not a little more. I am going to rethink that carrying down the stairs part…

Chainsawed on Sunday, rough turned on Monday/Tuesday and hollowed on Wednesday and Thursday. I have the piece sitting in a plastic bag to prevent moisture loss while I figure out a container to use to for a denatured alcohol (DNA) soak.

Maple Rough Out v1.JPG Maple Rough Out v2.JPG Maple Rough Out v3.JPG Maple Rough Out v4.JPG
    Maple Rough Out v6.JPG Maple Rough Out v5.JPG

Size at this point is 16” high x 13” diameter and approximately ¾” thick. I will post the finished version when I get to it in a few months.

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve that is a impressive piece. Good thing my shop is not in the basement because at my age there is no way I could have gotten it down other than let it roll down the stairs. lol I am sure the minister of the house would have frowned. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

3. I like the shape of this one a lot Steve.........that is going to be a nice vessel..........dimensions? Oh yeah............nice carpet! you know we have to yank on your chain just a little! That American Beauty really looks good with that large piece on it........

Okay..........I see the dimensions now...........I guess I looked at the pics before I read the entire post.....
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Now thats a good size piece. Your lathe probably enjoyed the workout. Look forward to seeing the end result.

Lookin' good Steve! But you got your rug dirty...
    David DeCristoforo

if you ever come out my way, i have two old chair lifts, the ones with the cable at the top and the chair on wheels, you could easily set one up on your stairs for moving wood down and shaving bags up
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Steve
    I use to put a 2x8 down the steps on one side then start the log FLATSIDE DOWN and then stay in front and step down backwards controlling the slide. It worked very well.
    Then I bought a house with an outside basement door much nicer.
    Whats the two wheel steady thing in picture 5.
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 04-12-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: forgot question
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Steve - I like the figure of the wood especially at the large diameter portion. I just got the itch to turn and was wondering in the first photo is that a shop made face plate that is held in your chuck (instead of a cast threaded face plate)?

Thanks,

Mike

Harry - that is my homemade 2 wheel steady rest. Not much to look at but it works!
    Steve

Mike - that is a chuck plate that was designed and built by Jerry Marcantel. He wrote an article - posted on the Sawmill Creek Home Page - on how to build your own. Check it out here: Chuck Plate
    Steve

Steve,

That has great SW potential, hope it drys well.

On pieces like that, do you drill out the pith or leave it in?

Looks like you have T-track for your steady. Any problems with flex?

Thanks for sharing.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Steve, this one is coming along nicely! I like the finished (well, rough finished!) shape, too. Do you have plans for color on this one?

That is a beauty sitting on a beauty! I look forward to seeing the finished vessel. I'm not sure when a HF becomes a vessel, but I think this one is large enough to qualify.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Looks good Steve. You should install a coal chute to get the logs into the basement!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Hi Steve,

it looks like you turned this piece with the pith running straight through it from top to bottom. Does that cause any problems, or is the wood dry enough already that cracking won't be an issue?

It looks like it'll be a great piece!

Lee