Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went crazy and its all Steve Schlumpf's fault.

I went crazy and its all Steve Schlumpf's fault.

Well I went crazy today. I sent my check to Brent English to build me an Extended Bed American Beauty. I will take delivery at SWAT which is the end of August. I just could not let Steve have all the fun of a new American Beauty.

What started all this is I have wanted at large swing lathe for my shop. I have always said that if I were going to buy a new large swing lathe it would either be a Vicmarc long bed VL300 or a extended bed Robust American Beauty. Both lathes are excellent machines, but the American Beauty was always considerably more expensive. I had herd that the Long bed Vic was going to be discontinued and figured if that Is what I was going to get this would be the time to purchase. Well the Australian dollar has been very strong and the price between the two is very close. This made the decision easy for me. Brent and his wife are the nicest people going, and they make a great product made in the USA and the being local I will have the support for years to come.

This was a big financial decision for me but I look forward to having it in my shop. Now I just have to get to making more pieces to pay for it.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the club. You will not regret it.

robo hippy

Beauty owner for 4 or 5 years, CRS syndrome, can't remember stuff (kept it polite).

Congrats, Alan!!! Having done the 3-day shopping thing with Steve while at AAW, and having watched him drool over the various machines, I can say he left a much larger pool of drool at the Robust booth! It is one sweet lathe, and should permit you to do even great things. Besides, with the well founded recognition you are receiving, it will get paid for in no time!

4. Hubba Hubba! Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Way to go Alan! That would be my choice as well, and I hope to do the same someday!!! Congratulations!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congrats Alan!! You are going to love the machine!! Did you get all the bells and whistles? Do you plan on picking it up in person? If so, you will get to meet the 'crew'! Great bunch of talented machinists!

I suppose this means you can start looking for bigger acorns!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks everyone,

Not quite all the bells an whistles. I ordered it with the 3HP option and it is the extended bed version. It will also have the tilt away on it. I figured I can add most of the other things on my own and as money and time permits. I think that it got with the important features for what I am going to use it for.

Steve,

Yes I need about 10,000 Burr Oak acorn caps. I will take delivery at the SWAT symposium as it saves me shipping cost and it will probably be used as a demo lathe as well which is fine with me.

Alan

Congrats! Hopefully...you won't have to negotiate this machine down any stairs!!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Congratulations! I look forward to see a few shots of that bad boy covered in shavings in a few months. I dream of the day where I can make a purchase like that.

Alan, you have officially joined the "you suck" club! Congrats on a fantastic piece of gear. Someday....someday.....

PS: remind me and I will see about dragging a hoard of Bur Oak acorns down to Waco for you! My Dad's place has several 100+ year old Bur Oaks on it and if the acorn crop does well this year, there will be more than anyone would ever want. Although I might have to wrestle the deer and racoons for them!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Congratulations Alan.... I know you'll make a lot of "beauties" from your "Beauty"...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Congrats Alan. Beautiful lathe for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

congratulations Alan, enjoy swat and your new lathe

Blog Entries
    An excellent choice Alan, congratulations. Your work deserves the ability to take it to the next level. Can't wait to see what you come up with when you have all that swing. Now time will sloooww down to a crawl until the day comes that you pick it up. It's like adding years to your life. LMAO.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Alan,
    Way to go. Your work should come off a great American made machine, especially one with the quality Bret builds. Heck, I feel great just using his tool rests on my lathe. I wish you years of use and look forward to the spectacular pieces you will create with the Robust. Besides, you are a published artist now.
    faust

Congrats great lathe! Enjoy it.