Thread: Small bowl with lid and dish

Small bowl with lid and dish

Turned these for my wife,its made from some sort of oak I got from a friend, he called it a "water oak"? It's hard and tight grained,sands well.I did not have a chuck when I turned them.
    PDR_0553.jpgPDR_0554.jpgPDR_0557.jpg

Charles,
    great job on the bowls and lid. I like the little handle. How did you turn them without a chuck?

Started them between centers, made Jam chucks from some 2by and attached it to my face plate. It took awhile to get things to fit. I now have a G3 chuck, going to turn some olive or walnut or both this weekend.

Nice job. The wood looks like some I turned that they said was water oak. The smaller pieces (up to 8") turned OK, but the larger sections were proned to major checking when twice turned.

Nice job Charles! Enjoy your new G3, it's going to make turning bowls and things quicker and easier.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Charles, nice work, but I hope that pith through your bowl doesn't cause issues. Congrats on the chuck - that will certainly make things easier! The walnut should be much more stable than either the water oak or the olive.