Thread: Need a new belt for my table saw and have a question

Need a new belt for my table saw and have a question

I bought a brand new Craftsman 22124 off of craigslist (The guy bought it and let it sit in his basement for 2 years and never used it) and it didn't come with a belt for the motor. It uses a 28 inch(i believe) Poly-v Belt. Do you guys know where i could pick one of these up without having to order one from sears?

Thanks again everyone!

Steel City might be a good source....SC/Orion made the 22124.

The belt from the former SC 35601 should fit:
    Key # 220
    Part # OR91721 BELT (1.75 HP)
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

My $.02....

I've read/heard so much good about Link Belt that I plan to go that route on my tools when the time comes to replace the belts.
    If I needed a new belt, that would be my first choice.

Opps forgot to say where..

Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon and Harbor Freight carry them.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 04-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Rich - Would the link belt work on my pulleys since they have grooves in them (V shaped)?

Thanks again!

I have that saw, and I've had a link belt on it for a year or so with no problems so far. I learned after the fact that you're not supposed to use them on the grooved pulleys. I checked recently, and the link belt had developed mating grooves of it's own, but it doesn't seem to be suffering any damage, otherwise.

Ahhh...the old link belt debate is gonna kick in any moment. Stand back.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I called the guy and asked if he could look around for it and he found it! Thanks everyone for the information.

You can always find on at an auto parts store. Its basically a fan belt.
    Don

That's what i was thinking but when i called they had a 27 inch and a 29 inch, not the 28 inch which is required. Would it have mattered if i went with the 27 or 29?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    You can always find on at an auto parts store. Its basically a fan belt.
    Not true. Although an automotive V belt will work in a pinch, they are not made with the same standards as a machine belt. There is a bump in them, and on a machine that will be a vibration. On a saw that creates belt tension by hanging the motor on the belt such as a belt drive contractors saw this will be especailly obvious as the motor will move up and down as the hump travels around the pulley.

You may have to order a belt to get what you need but it is worth the wait. Link belts work well, but on my Delta contractors saw if I get one that is long enough that it keeps the motor below the table at 45 degrees, it will stretch eventually and allow the motor to drop too low and hit the frame. I had to go back to a conventional belt on my latest contractor saw for this reason. The motor has a larger diameter than my old one which had no problems with a link belt. Depends on your particular saw.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Not true. Although an automotive V belt will work in a pinch, they are not made with the same standards as a machine belt. There is a bump in them, and on a machine that will be a vibration. On a saw that creates belt tension by hanging the motor on the belt such as a belt drive contractors saw this will be especailly obvious as the motor will move up and down as the hump travels around the pulley.

You may have to order a belt to get what you need but it is worth the wait. Link belts work well, but on my Delta contractors saw if I get one that is long enough that it keeps the motor below the table at 45 degrees, it will stretch eventually and allow the motor to drop too low and hit the frame. I had to go back to a conventional belt on my latest contractor saw for this reason. The motor has a larger diameter than my old one which had no problems with a link belt. Depends on your particular saw.

Larry

with a link belt if it stretches you can remove a link to get it back to size.

The 22124 (and many other saws) use a ribbed serpentine style belt that has proprietary pulleys. Link belts are designed for v-belt pulleys, so in order to use them on a 22124, you should really change the pulleys too. The serpentine belts tend to be smoother and have better power transfer than many cheap stock v-belts, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort to swap the pulleys and make the switch to a link belt for these saws.

As an illustration, this is not the stock pulley and belt that come with the 22124, but they're similar:
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....