• Festool package damage but rail pristine

4 10.00%
  • Festool minor rail damage but functionally fine

1 2.50%
  • Festool major rail damage, useless

0 0%
  • Whats a tracksaw?

5 12.50%

Thread: For those that have gotten a long tracksaw track shipped to them, damage?

For those that have gotten a long tracksaw track shipped to them, damage?

I just received my Dewalt tracksaw kit from the Amazon Supply sale due to having issues getting it scheduled for delivery, it has been local for 10 days. The whole time I was reading about the number of damaged rails here and other sites and was getting more and more worried, despite footprints on the 102" tracks box and one hole near one end it arrived in perfect condition. I am curious how many have had damage to the 8'+ rails when they were shipped to their home. I am including Dewalt and Festool (which has better packaging) but not Makita since I haven't seen anything but a short rail for them, but they may exist.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My Festool FS3000 arrived in perfect shape. I thought it was funny when the driver asked me to open the package, he said couldn't figure out what he had just delivered.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    My Festool FS3000 arrived in perfect shape. I thought it was funny when the driver asked me to open the package, he said couldn't figure out what he had just delivered.

Ed
    The driver also ask me what it was, it was easy to explain since Dewalt actually has a picture of the saw/track on all the boxes. It was funny to me when I realized the average person doesn't understand what "breaking sheet good down" means, he did understand "cutting plywood longways".

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

102" Dewalt arrived perfect. Comes in MDF edged hardboard faced packaging.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I suppose I was one of the lucky few. I bought my DeWalt kit from Amazon Supply when they had their really good sale price.
    All 3 of the pieces were shipped via CEVA and everything arrived quickly and in great shape.

My experience with amazon shipping is generally very good, but not so much with track saws/rails....
    I bought a festool ts55 kit last year with short rail and an extra short rail from amazon. I upgraded to the amazon prime 1-day shipping just because it was such a bargain with something this bulky and looked forward to receiving my new toy the very next day.
    The setup was sent in two shipments, on of which was "out for delivery" for about 5 days (the shipment with the saw and one rail). Meanwhile the single rail showed up in a slightly damaged box, but looked ok, so it went out to the garage till the saw came in.
    After many days of fussing with amazon, they finally gave up on the other shipment as being lost, refunded my purchase and made me order it again (for some reason could not just send a replacement...). So I ordered it again... and it arrived just fine. Once the saw arrived I pulled everything out to start playing with it and discovered that the rail shipped by itself actually was damaged in shipment, so it went back.
    Amazon sent another solo rail (again, one rail in a box that originally had two) and it was again damaged... so it went back. Finally, the last rail was delivered without damage.

Prime was unavaiable for the Dewalt "kit" since the 102" rail is too long for the usual carriers, mine was handled by at least 3 seperate companies before it actually was delivered. I must admit the delivery guys were some of the nicest I have ever met, but it seemed one was training the other. As I was signing the paper work one of my neighbors drove by and commented about such a big truck for such a little box... I honestly can't see how Amazon made money on these, less than $370 shipped for a saw, long and short rails when the long rail alone runs ~$170 and the shipping had to SUCK.

Extreme damage. MDF destroyed. 102" rail bent at approx 30 deg angle at about the third point.

I guess I missed that sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Giles View Post
    I guess I missed that sale.
    Might be a good time to consider becoming a contributor so you can read the deals and discounts forum. I wouldn't have known about the deal if it weren't for that and the money I saved on this one deal paid for the $6 a year for decades. It never fails that I get a couple of REALLY good deals a year as a result. I suppose one could say the deals and discounts forum actually "costs" me money though...

This poll is useless.

ALL polls are useless.

I think.

Maybe I should start a poll, asking about the utility OF polls.

I think.

He's no fun. He fell right over !

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    This poll is useless.

ALL polls are useless.

I think.

Maybe I should start a poll, asking about the utility OF polls.

I think.

A poll has no credibility until someone questions the credibility of said poll...

Then ... you're welcome.

Nobody else seemed willing to take the ... uh ... plunge
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Somewhat off-topic, but I ordered a digital read-out for my TS from a vendor on Ebay. It was 40 inches long (the box). When it arrived (across the country from Missouri), it was packaged in a slim cardboard box, encircled with a thin layer of padded envelopes (not even as thick as bubble wrap) and, not unexpectedly, had a 30 degree bend at one end. I was infuriated because it was obvious that the casual packaging invited damage. I waited for the cool-off period required by Ebay and then sent in a negative evaluation to Ebay. Subsequently, the vendor, who had up to then had a perfect record on Ebay, made some caustic comments about me on Ebay about not contacting him first for a replacement. I felt that he did not deserve a chance to make amends before I evaluated him since he had betrayed my trust by mailing me a package in such a careless fashion. (I did repair the bend myself, since mailing costs would have added 25% to the cost of the item). In any case, I find that many products are shipped packaged in a careless fashion these days and we rarely have a means of holding the vendors to public accounting. Making repairs later still doesn't pay for your frustration and anxiety after the initial injury to you. (Be aware that this guy is still selling these items on Ebay and inquire about the packaging before making an order.) I wanted to add that I ordered a windshield wiper blade insert from Amazon and it was packed in a box that was big enough to ship a bunch of bananas. Sadly, the box was damaged and the wiper insert could be fished out without opening the packaging, but it was intact because of the volume of the box and the padding.

digital scale.jpg
    Last edited by Floyd Mah; 04-15-2012 at 7:39 PM.