Thread: 5 turnings from a board

5 turnings from a board

I posted a turning last week of a platter from an old cypress board. I finished off the rest of the board this week. I ended up with 5 platter/shallow bowls and a little chunk left over. I don't think that I will try turning any cypress again, too soft. I was spoiled by the polish on a Holly piece, no polish on these. All are 16 1/2" dia. x 2" tall except for 1 that is 15 1/2" (had some natural edge left on it). Tung oil finish.
    Deane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Deane, never having worked with cypress, I am not familiar with its characteristics, though I have heard folks say it is soft. Nonetheless, it sure makes some nice looking bowls!!

Those look great. I particularly like the one with the raised bead and the one at the lower left of the first pic. Those two are world class.
    David DeCristoforo

I too really like the one with the bead at the edge of the hollow. Though they all are great!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

nice work Deane

Very nice - love the grain of the cypress

Great job on them all! I agree cypress is a little on the soft side when it comes to turning but I do love the way it looks.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

You sir, have given me more and better reason to tackle platter/shallow bowl stuff. Loads of stuff is in the shop...I like your inspiration...thanks!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

All are nice looking Deane. You are becoming a production machine. I did not know that you had that big a lathe - is that something different?

Nice Deane. I particularly like the rimless "plate;" reminds me of Jupiter with its big spot.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

[QUOTE=Thomas Canfield; I did not know that you had that big a lathe - is that something different?[/QUOTE]

We have an old Delta at work (not as old as my little one) with a 1 hp. motor. I use it at lunch and after work. It still it won't turn anything much bigger than these. The cypress is pretty light. The main thing is the the shop's PM outboard stand. It almost weights as much as the lathe. I use it even with my little 1/4 hp when ever practical.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Pretty wood and bowls Deane. I have some old cypress that came from some pickle tanks that my father inlaw tore down years ago. Nothing over 6" wide but it has tight grain and great color. Have never tried to turn any of it.

Very pretty wood and some nice bowls Deane.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I too like the one with the bead..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Nice work, Deane!