Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol

Ethanol

Here in Oklahoma City, lots of stations sell non-ethanol gas. Some sell both 10% ethanol and non-ethanol. Recently, on a trip out of state I couldn't find any stations that sell non-ethanol gas. Is this something that is unique here or was I not looking in the right places. Valero, OnQue, and 7-Eleven all sell non-ethanol gas.

All of the pumps here say up to 10% ethanol in the gas.

We have a mix in Louisiana. Our house is on the water so several of the small stations down here make a big deal of the no ethanol since all but the newest boat fuel systems don't like the alcohol. I travel a good bit and do notice non-ethanol gas on occasion but don't remember where I have seen it, we have had it in the past near our home in SC but lately I have only filled up at "name brand" stations while there so I don't know if it is still around. We don't live on the water there but 1/8th mile from a lake so if they can have it there still I am sure several of the small stations do.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Are you sure it is non-ethanol you are buying now. My understanding is most all gas is the same. the difference is the additives each brand puts into the gas. Non-ethanol gas is still made for use in aircraft.

This video talks about not all states require the pump to say the amount of ethanol.

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Check out this site: http://pure-gas.org/
    Discovered I could get it at the marinas nearby.

Some states like Minnesota require a 10% ethanol blend in all gas. That would explain why you can't find non-ethanol gas in some states.

Dave, like I said in states that do not require a level of ethanol in all gas you will see signs proclaiming they carry 100% gas (which technically is not true) this is especially true with stations that are close to recreational waterways.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    here in Arkansas there are a few stations that advertise no ethanol gas on a sign. So unless they are lying, no ethanol gas is available here. I try to buy at those stations when I can. Other stations usually have a sticker on the pump that says something like "Our Fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol".
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 04-15-2012 at 8:59 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It's required by law here too, but there are a couple of places (not nearby) that say they have non-ethanol gas. They are all in areas without smog requirements in the boonies, or at marinas selling for boats. The problem is supposed to be premature wear on runner parts, but so far I have had no problems with my mower, chipper, generator, chainsaw or outboard.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Here in the east, Ethanol is added as an anti-smog measure and the amount varies during the year. This is one reason why our fuel economy drops during the winter months...Ethanol is less efficient in that respect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The cost of ethanol gas is about 10 cents a gallon cheaper at the pump but ethanol gas is subsidized to make it competitive to some degree, not sure how much it is. I have read estimates that it takes 50-70% more fuel to produce ethanol than it generates if the entire cycle is considered from planting thru production.
    My vehicle gets about 1 mpg less with ethanol than regular fuel which is about a 5% reduction from real gas. I get 18.4mpg with non-ethanol gas.
    I have been watching the development of compressed natural gas(CNG) and it appears to be a good alternative if they can get the distribution system in place.
    According to Matt's link, Okahoma has more pure gas stations than any other state. I'm not sure why. Maybe we have more old cars that aren't flexfuel compliant. Our state law simply states that it must be posted on the pump if there is ethanol in the gas.

In Wisconsin, there are a few stations that have non ethanol gas but only in the higher octane gas-not in the normal 87 octane fuel. It is sad that so much of our corn crop goes into ethanol production taking away from food for human and animal consumption. The ethanol lobbyists want to keep it this way.

If I am reading correctly, all gas must be blended with a "renewable- fuel" by 2012.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/renewablefuels/index.htm
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    If I am reading correctly, all gas must be blended with a "renewable- fuel" by 2012.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/renewablefuels/index.htm
    My understanding is the mandates are by total volume per year as opposed to any specific mandate of percentage or even that all gas must be blended at any level. I could be wrong though.

All we can get is ethanol, Ok for car where you burn it quickly and it is a closed system, but marine apps is horrible. Ethanol attracts and attaches to water and actually "scrubs" the inside of tanks leaving the residue form years of boat use. Junk gets into fuel lines have to use 10 micron or less filters and change every 20 hours. Have had to rebuilt all 6 carbs 3 years in a row so far.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-15-2012 at 5:04 PM.